• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Merlin

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
My darling snuffle bunny Merlin has gone to the bridge. I miss him so much.

He has been getting steadily worse despite all the antibiotics he has been having - penicillin injections every three days, and 9ml baytril twice a day. His nose was getting snottier and snottier and the eye that had never been infected before had started to get pussy. Then on Friday night I found him staggering about with a full blown case of head tilt. I had heard him thundering about upstairs and thought he was doing his usual mad binky dashes along the hall. He wouldn't touch his food and kept bumping into the wall. He often needed to hold his head up in order to breath easily and he couldn't do that. Hyzenthlay was clearly agitated and watching him strangely. She would give him a couple of licks and then hop away.

I took him to the vet in the morning and as I had suspected there was nothing more to be done for him. I didn't feel it was fair to keep him hanging on longer when he so clearly felt so ill and so uncomfortable, so he was PTS with me dripping all over him. I haven't had to make that decision before and it was so hard. It was so fast that it still keeps hitting me. He was such a darling boy, and not to see him in the bathroom and on my bedroom floor is so hard. My ys is also very very upset. Hyzenthlay is very very quiet. I am going to rebond her to Hazel today, so hopefully she will be alright.

house.jpg
Merlin and Shadow, who went to the bridge last year. Run free my lovlies.

So Sorry to here your lovely Merlin has gone. He was lucky to have been so well cared for, so many snuffles bunnies are not given the chance of life and such good care. I have two snuffles bunnies who are thankfuly ok at the moment.
Run free little Merlin and do big binkies with the spirit buns.

I am so sorry to hear your sad news - I remember when I first came on this site and saw Merlins pic and thought what an amazingly beautiful bun he wasxx

I'm so sorry, that decision is the hardest ever but you know you are doing the right thing. When I had Amber PTS, although I cried bucket loads and was so upset, I knew it was the kindest thing for her. It's so very upsetting. Take care, remember the lovely memories.

Nicola

Oh I am so sorry :( As Nicola said, remember all the fun memories you had together and cherish them, as I am sure you will.

It is so sad losing a bun. I lost my Merlin a few months ago and was so sad that I could not be there when he was PTS. Later you will feel glad that you were there with him until the end, and did all you could.

Thinking of you.

Lynsey

Oh Louise, I am so very sorry, I saw the title of your post and feared the worst. I feel as if I knew your boy as we used to discuss our respective medications for our snuffly babies. :cry: Letting go when the time is right is more precious than any gift you ever give to your little ones, you did the right thing but I know only too well how hard it is and how it keeps coming back to hit you. Big hugs Louise, I hope that you will be able to bond Hyzethlay with Hazel successfully.

:cry: Poor Merlin. Take comfort in the fact he used to binky dash along your hall, he must have been a really happy bun to do that.

When I had my dear little mouse Vincent PTS just over a week ago, that too was a really hard decision to make (and the first time I had to decide to PTS). But when you know there's nothing more you can do to make your pet better, and that your dear friend is suffering, it's the only right thing to do. I sympathise though, it's a really really tough decision to have to make.

Remember the good times you had with Merlin, and enjoy your other animals, that really helps ease the pain. My deepest sympathies to you.

AMETHYST

:cry: :cry: :cry: So very, very sorry to hear about Merlin - you gave him a wonderful life and he will love you forever for that. He is at peace now with no more snuffles, just healthy and happy over the Bridge.
Run free in the eternal sunshine Merlin - you will never be forgotten and will never stop being loved - xxxxxx

Thankyou everyone for your kind words. I know it was the right thing to do, but I wish so very much it hadn't been necessary. It seems especially unfair as he was so young - only two and a half. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hyzenthlay was very quiet and wasn't eating, I was getting worried about her. Luckily rebonding her to Hazel went very smoothly. She put her head straight under him. He did a bit of bum biting, but after a little while switched to grooming instead.

She dashed out this morning to look for Merlin. She went right around my room and looked under the bed and in all the corners, but when Hazel found his way in there too she went to him for comfort and seemed brighter.

It is very strange and difficult to see Hazel in Merlin's place, but I am so glad that Hyzenthlay isn't fretting.

I missed your original post. So sorry to hear about Merlin, sending you big hugs. He sounds like he had a fantastic life.

Oh Louise - I know you mentioned your loss of Merlin in my post about Fudge the weekend but what a beautiful bunny and I know you mention that he had been unwell for a time but he really was lucky to have you to nurse him through it and be there with some TLC.

I think your heart almost stops when the Vet mentions that it might be time to let go but its almost like its the one last loving thing you can do for them and I'm sure little Merlin will have loved you for that.

Say hello to all our much loved much missed Spirit Bunns little Merlin.

Back