• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not a rabbit.......

luvabun

Warren Veteran
well I'm a sucker for poor old dears that no-one wants..... this one is between 10 months to a year which is quite old considering a hamsters life expectancy is around 2 years and has been at a rescue for 7-8 months ........ bless her....... she's come to my retirement home for elderly critters

bunnies062.jpg

bunnies061.jpg

she's had a little crawl all over me before retiring for an afternoon nap.. bless

Did she come to you in that cage? It's just that wheel is far too small for a full grown Syrian hamster (and it'll be a squeeze for baby ones too).
She's adorable though :)

Hi Karly, she did come with that cage and as I'm a total novice with hammies, I appreciate any advice given. She hasn't been in the wheel and I was told she wasn't fussed about houses or stairs etc. She's had a run around on an armchair (pics to follow.. .so sweet).... I'm open to advice.....................

Aww she is adorable!! Lovely lil' golden banded! but I do agree that the cage and wheel is a bit too small for an adult syrian. They can travel 4 or more miles at night so a good,sturdy large wheel is important! :wink:

I was told that she doesn't like stairs/ heights so giving her more space upwards is a waste of time. I will look for a bigger wheel tomorrow and what else can I do other than let her out on the chair for her exercise (supervised of course)

my sister got a hamster yesterday from pets at home its a robovski one think thats how you spell it its so small and cute but i prefer rabbits more fun and have better personalities although the hamster is kind of funny when you have hold of her and shes running about up and down your arm shes so fast.
on a website though they say those sort of hamsters arent meant for handling or small children as thy are too active but this one is ok.

You know what cages are good if you find glass tanks too heavy, indoor guinea pig cages (the ones without the bars of course!) and also smooth sided rubbermaid plastic storage boxes!

Heres a link!
http://www.hamsterific.com/BBS/ViewPost.cfm?Post=641552&startRow=1&forumTypeID=6

The Uk don't have ones as big as in the USA but you can attach tubes and join two of them if you have the room, just make sure the tubes are the straight sided ones, not the bubble tubes made by crittertrail!!

Marlene said:
Oh Jill ...she is such a little sweetie pie...so teency weency and adorable :love:
Hi Marlene, nice to hear from you :thumb: yes she is a sweet old dear - I hope she achieves the longevity of our Molly :thumb:

Her name is India... I initially thought of changing it but its sort of grown on me......

here she is exploring the armchair...
bunnies067.jpg

bunnies070.jpg

jeez, I'm like a mother at a school fete or something :oops: :lol:

sophiemarmion said:
hope india has a long and happy life with you! :D

sophie
so do I Sophie :thumb: its ironic that at 50 and *whispers* a spinster (what a horrid name), I'm drawn to furry things that are at the same stage in life i.e. 11 year old rescue bun Molly and now India :wink:

sophiemarmion said:
thats a good thing, not many people chose to adopt older animals because of their age!

sophie
and they are missing out on delights..... when I took Molly on around 6 months ago, I was aware that she may not be around for very long and initially tried to hold back. I failed miserably there as she is so, so delightful - everyone that meets her is smitten. No-one can understand why this gentle, graceful old lady was in rescues for so long. Despite having masses in her abdomen, she enjoys a fantastic quality of life and continues to astound me - you should see her hopping round the garden. Its a joy to behold. If India enjoys the rest of her days as much, I'll be chuffed to bits.

You usually find that when people say their hamster doesn't use the wheel, it's because it's the wrong size! Both my hamsters loved their wheel once they got the correct size (both were 'rescues' from their old owners). Not your fault though, so many companies advertise things for animals that are totally not suitable (e.g. chinchilla exercise balls - chinchillas are so sensitive to overheating and this can lead to fits, which makes balls totally unsuitable!) or the wrong size.
If you want to go for something longer rather than higher, why not look at something like the Ferplast Mary? It's designed for rats, but isn't really suitable as they like to climb, but for a hamster it would be a palace! You might even be able to find one/something similar on Ebay for cheaper.
The problem nowadays is that alot of people want the smallest, cheapest cage they can buy, and cages are being made ridiculously unsuitable for whatever animal they're meant to be housing - for example, could you imagine keeping a German Lop in a 3' "starter kit" hutch?
Gone on a bit of rant here, oops! Good luck with India though, I'm sure she'll enjoy spending the rest of her days with you, and well done for taking on an older animal.

bunnies076.jpg

bunnies074.jpg

I was told she loves doing "hang tough" off the bars and this proves it. She is so comical - she's done this for the best part of the evening. She has also spent a fair bit of time out of her cage i.e. let loose on the stairs with all the doors closed - I'm downloading the pic of her negociating the stairs - took her no time at all to master that, bless her. I've taken the wheel out of the cage and will get her a bigger one tomorrow that I can put on the landing - will be interesting to see if she uses or ignores it. :roll:

Back