• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing...

Veronica

Mama Doe
Hi,

I'm planning on having this chap.....

q5.jpg

....as my first house bunny. :D

So....I'm researching, and I'm trying to decide what would be the best housing for his 'base'.
Now I know, one of the most popular is the dog cages...which i have....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/Veron781/Picture907.jpg

..but it's more tall than anything, and being one of the smaller ones, doesn't have that much floor space.

I planning on having the 'cage' under my desk in my room. So....other options are, to have the dog crate, or a rabbit cage...which I also do have.....or, to have a rabbit hutch (which could be painted to match my rooms fuirnature etc, with a lino/safely painted interior to make it water proof)?

What have you guys got? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Veronica

OUr little nethie, Squidgy, has a double storey hutch, that he lives in quite happily inside. In fact, he likes it so much we have to coax him out! We thought it might look out of place in the room, but it's fine.

ive got a dog crate for my two. could you not put a shelf in for him so he has more space! i do think the dog crates are nice as they are nice and tall so they can stretch right up. some other inside cages are that tall. will your bunny be inside or outside of his cage most of the time?

sophie

hi

really it depends on how long he'll be spending caged - the RSPCA's planned recommendation is about 2metres by 2 metres for a single bunny - which is plenty of room for them to run about and keep fit. If that dog crate is just for night time, or afternoon nap time (about 11am till 4pm) then he'll probably be OK, but if he's spending any longer confined then you would want something bigger, or could join another dog crate to that one, door to door. A hutch painted to match your decor sounds lovely - got me thinking now :D

Helen - how do you stop your hutch getting too smelly to live with?

Re: hi

elve said:
Helen - how do you stop your hutch getting too smelly to live with?
He has a litter tray in it which is emptied everyday :D
He's a very good boy. With him being a Nethie too, he's got oodles of room to stretch around. Bless him.
He doesn't have shavings in the hutch either, as that would be anightmare. He live on vetbed and a jersey cotton duvet cover!
I'll post some piccies up tomorrow.

Oops, forgot I said I'd post a picture. This is Squidgy's hutch. It's not often shut, but when it is, he still has lots of space
hutch.JPG

Must be getting late, it took me ages to work out that there was a bunny in the top, it looked like a little curved door!!! :lol: I thought that there was a secret compartment behind!!! :shock: :lol:

Hi,

My house bunnies have only been house bunnies for a week now. This is their home:
post-20-1120684538.jpg

post-20-1120848332.jpg

They are 2 dog crates (one is 48 inches one is 30 inches) and they are joined together. (we had to add a bit of meshing at the top as they are different heights).

We have temporarily blocked off the end hallway (that leads to upstairs) with washing baskets (until we can think of something better) so that when we are home they can come and go as they please, but they seem to stay inside the cage most of the time. They seem to love the metal flooring in this hot weather.

We're also thinking of a second level, but twiggy is quite big and I'm not sure she would benefit from it.

houndour said:
We're also thinking of a second level, but twiggy is quite big and I'm not sure she would benefit from it.

Perhaps you could add a half level or a couple of shelves instead, so she can still stand up but has somewhere to jump onto if she wants to?

We have part of our kitchen blocked off with a baby guard. There are no wires or things that they can harm so it's set up as a bunny room.

Puppy pens can be used although you have to get a heavy one so they can't knock it over - and there isn't a top so they could potentially jump out. This is what we've gone for for continuing the bonding of Jemima and Barney - you can get larger ones with more floor space than a dog crate.

I have two housebunnies, free range. Their house is my house, perfectly happy. They like their little corners with stips of carpet and hay racks. Going to the toilet to do their toilet in the litter tray. Eat in the kitchen, play in the livingroom, but when i go to sleep i shut the door. Otherwise they wake me up every 5 minutes!

Back