• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dilemma

gina paul

Mama Doe
cheeky has been through the mill ( as you will all know) but he is due his vhd booster in a few weeks and with his problems lately i,m worried that he may react badly to the booster . I,ve seen what phill has gone through with her bunnies so i,m terrified not to get it done but terrified to get it done at same time !! I,ll need to ask the vet but anyone have any comments on this ?

Hiya Gina :)
i would feel that Cheeky may not fit enough to have the vaccination, as bunnies who are/ have had health problems are best not to have it.
Your poor darlings immune system has had enough to content with recently :?
As Cheeky is a house bunny, the risk is a bit lower, and we have two old bunnies here that have not had VHD vaccine as they are so frail.
I tend to go with what we know, and that is that these bunnies are not in good health, and although I fear VHD, I feel that sometimes you have to take a reasonable gamble :?
I wonder what other people think?
But your vet can advise you as to the best course of action, and it depends on how well Cheeky has tolerated the vaccine before.
You could leave it for a month or so and see how Cheeky picks up?
best wishes
Adele

Definately discuss it with your vet as they'll have the official reccomendations for the manufacturer. Vaccines work by stimulating the immune system to projuce antibodies but if the immune system is busy elsewhere then it might not be effective anyway.

The following bit comes with the disclaimer I don't have a clue what I'm talking about...

I think VHD is a dead vaccine so if it didn't work then it wouldn't cause any problems possibly just not do anything? You'd need to check with the vet. Has he had it before without problems?

Tam

thanks for that . yeah , cheeky has had his boosters for both vhd and myxi with no probs in the past , i,m just a bit wary this time . He,s doing great now but I don,t want to tip the scales and make him ill again . I,ll see what the vet thinks next wek .

I think the vet will advise you what is best. My neighbour has a very elderly dog who is very frail at the moment and the vet has said no more booster jabs for him. Good luck with Cheeky

VHD is a dead vaccine, which is why you can give it to rabbits as young as 6 weeks. Because cheeky's immune system is weakend then the vacc may not work as he wont be able to produce the antibodies. I would definatly discuss it with your vet though but as Adele says if you don't feel he is up to it then you could a wait a month and have it done then. remember this is only a booster to the immunity he already has, as with some off my bunny's that didn't get it he will have some immunity to it just not 100%, but speak to the vet. XXXX

When Zeus was at his worst the vet wouldn't do his VHD vacc but last week as he had put on weight and looked really good on the painkiller the vet was happy to give him his VHD and mite treatment.

It is really only something I think your vet can decide as he knows if Cheeky's immune system will be up to it or not.

Caz

Back