• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just rushed Busterto the Vets (long post)

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
Had a phone call from a very hysterical (sp) o/h to say that he was carrying Buster inside to play and he jumped from his arms and is limping really badly. So i meet them at the vets - who said that he hadnt broken anything. He gave him an anti-imflammatory and something to get his gut moving (he hasnt really been eating since his VHD on Tuesday).
But he didnt give him anything for the pain - as he wasnt showing any signs :?
Hes at home now hopping around but lifting his leg.

do you think he will be ok or should i try and get him some pain relief :?:

Mikeymoo said:
Had a phone call from a very hysterical (sp) o/h to say that he was carrying Buster inside to play and he jumped from his arms and is limping really badly. So i meet them at the vets - who said that he hadnt broken anything. He gave him an anti-imflammatory and something to get his gut moving (he hasnt really been eating since his VHD on Tuesday).
But he didnt give him anything for the pain - as he wasnt showing any signs :?
Hes at home now hopping around but lifting his leg.

do you think he will be ok or should i try and get him some pain relief :?:

It's good that he's not broken anything, does he seem fine in himself other than limping? Fingers and paws crossed for Buster, keep us posted.

Oh NO! If he seems fine within himself then i would keave him with the antiinflamitry (sp) but i think ( i will go check this) that if you wanted to give him some pain releif you can give child calpol, i used it with Pan when she had her spay and it worked wonders just 1ml every 2 hours i didn't know wether that was to much or to little but it helped. XX I hope he's ok XX

The anti-inflammatory may have been metacam in which case it is a painkiller too so I wouldn't dose your bunny with anything unless you know what he was given or it has been 24hours since his last dose.

I think a similar thing happened to another forum member and after a few days he stopped limping when they were not around but as soon as he saw them he started limping again - they caught him out - he had so much fuss and treats when he was hurt that I guess he figured he would keep limping :roll: :lol: !

If nothing is broken I am sure it will be fine after a few days.

Caz

You mention that your bunny had recently had a VHD Vaccination - did you observe that he was definately putting weight on all fours following the vaccination as some bunny Forum Folk (me included) have had bunnies who have had a slight reaction to this vaccination which is limp on one of the front paws.

Zac had this for probably 3 days following the injection and then after that he was fine.

Probably not connected but just wondered :?:

Good news - hopefully :)

as to the limping, our ND always has a pronounced limp after his VHD jab - and it's normally at its worst the a day or 2 after the jab.

Martin

He didnt have the jab in his paw he had it in the scruff of his neck.

Still hadnt eaten anything ot pooed when i got home. Tried to tempt him with allsorts but it wasnt working.
So by about 8.30 it was time to syringe feed - what a peformence. I think more ended up on me than anywhere near his mouth :oops:

So i left it on the floor and the cheeky monkey wondered over and started eating it :shock:
Checked this moirning and although he is still limping he has eaten plenty :D

Apparently sometimes when they do the VHD injection in the neck it can nick the muscle or some of the vaccine ends up in the muscle causing a slight limp on one of the front paws.

I think that is what everyone meant.

Caz

Yep - they normally give it in the back of the neck.

Imagine having a big needle stuck in above your shoulder blades, then walking on all fours - must cause a limp.

It normally eases after a day or 2, with the second day being less of a limp than the first.

Martin

Back