• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Exercise in bad weather

TripleD

Warren Scout
It's been raining pretty much every night when I get home, and Sparky hasn't been for a run outside for 3 days now! :cry:

How do you normally give your bunnies exercise when it's raining?
He's not house trained so running around the living room is out!

mine haven't been out since the weekend either :oops:
Mine can't come inside as i have dog who would play too rough

I have been putting mine out anyway just tied a piece of plastic sheeting over the top to protect them from the rain and given them plastic boxes and tubes to hide in.

I figure that they sat outside in the rain before when they could have come in when they used to run loose so now they go out as long as it is light showers.

Caz

Mine are outdoor bunnies. About a third of their run is covered (as the hutch is over the top) they still come out and play in the ran though. Make sure he has some protection if he wants it but you'll probably find he plays in the rain anyway.

They are pretty water proof. If you stick your fingers into the coat of a rained on bun its dry undearneath, just the top gets wet. You can run a towel over him quickly when he comes in if you like and that should get the water off.

Tam

Mine are outside all the time like tamsins, they have there hutches and other shelters if they want them but usually come out and get wet, they seem to like it.

It has to be really really nasty before I keep mine in, except the ones with snuffles. I am also less likely to let the guineas out if it is damp. But the rabbits often sit in the rain, they only take shelter if it really pours. I was watching Clover yesterday sitting in the middle of the garden right out in the rain. She had a dreamy look on her face. I think she was watching the raindrops :lol: They all have the option of getting back in the hutch, but they never do. They are more likely to shelter under a tree or bush or even under the hutch. Guineas, if they get caught out in the rain, will get back in their hutch; they need to be munching hay to watch raindrops :)

Yeah, I'm sure my Alfie loves the rain.
I came home yesterday to find him sitting out in the pouring rain, absolutely drenched! I had to climb in amongst the shrubs to get him and pop him in the shed :roll: :p

I bring the others in the house for a couple of hours at a time each when it's raining. Got Albert and Ellen running around at the moment :D

I've jsut opened the gate to their run onto the grass and they're straight in it, even though it is raining quite heavily. Nougat's even sat out, chilling! Mind you, they have two large hutches in their permanent run and choose to sit on top of them even in the snow :roll:

I put heavy duty plastic on the top of my runs if it given out heavy rain. Though my buns must be a bit wussy as they choose to stay in the shed or wendy house where it is dry, its only light rain they seem to tolerate. Though a nethie dwarf I had years and years ago loved to sit in the rain even though she could take cover if she so wished.

I let my buns out in the rain - they have the option of going back into their hutches and lots of bushes to sit under but they tend to sit right in the middle of the lawn! They are outdoor buns tho, so are more used to this weather than say an indoor bunny. I have to let one of mine out everyday as she won't go to the toilet in her shed!

Nicola

My bunnies have snuffles (I think...not yet been confirmed). I let them have access to the run when it's raining, but thank god they seem to choose to stay inside the playhouse.

I've been worrying lots about their snuffles and eeyore seems to get worse when it's damp and chilly, so now they are going to be house rabbits. But I think I'm more concerned about them being _inside_ all day with no fresh air, so I think I shall put them outside on nice days.

was also worried about sparky getting tooo wet, he seems to like to lay exactly where he poo's, so it sticks to him!
he doesn't like to be handled that much anyway, so checking for fly strike is a nightmare!

Mine have Taupaulin over there runs so stay out all the time....and they have their hutches to run back into if they want to be cosy....most of the time come rain or snow they are out in their runs if the rain is very heavy i just flip the Taupaulin down to cover the sides of the runs also.

Mine will quite happily come out in the garden for their morning and evening runs even if it is raining, but I just don't let them out if it is totally pouring as it me that ends up being the soaked one trying to get them back in their runs... : )

my buns go out all the time, they have even been out when its snowing, they just had loadsa hay to snuggle up in but they didnt seem to want to anyway, they just ran around like mad!!!

post subject

My bunnies have a run attached to their hutch I bought a cover for the run from a company called pet tents, if you do a search you`ll find there www site.

Its really good as it comes off easy and folds up to store.

Back