• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Dandruff - photo added

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Just been grooming Simba and he seems to have started moulting again :roll: By the end of it i have a pile of fluff bigger than his head!! :shock: Anyway while combing through the fur just above his tail, where he has had bad matting before, i found he has a patch of dandruff and the skin looks quite red. I havent seen him scratch or chew that area at all so im not sure if its due to me grooming him too much or could it be mites? I watched it for a short while and didnt see anything move so im not sure whether he needs a vet to see it or not. I go on my hols in about 10days so last thing i want is him being ill for Auntie Cheryl! Any ideas?

Squidgy had this, just above his tail. The vet said it wasn't mites, just dandruff, nothing to worry about. searching on here I saw that someone (Adele or Tamsin?) put aloe vera juice in the rabbit's water. I have been doing this for a couple of months withSquidgy and the dandruff patch has almost disappeared.
Hope this helps.

oh right ok. Where do u get aloe vera juice from? supermarket or health food shop or something? I could certainly give that a go if i can find it hehe

I got it from a health food shop. It certainly smells nice (don't know what it tastes like though!! :D ) Squidgy certainly doesn't object!!

oh ok then.. i will get some on thurs when i go into town shopping. How much do u put in how much water?

Its ok i just found the thread you were talking about and Adele said to give 1 teaspoon a day so I will maybe take him to the vets thurs and see what they think first.

I will try this as well, Harry can't shift his. I blamed it on old age, until I was corrected that 6 wasn't really that old for a bun.

Chris, you are welcome to pop him over to me for a look if you want. If it is mites I will ivomec him for you and can carry on with it while you are away.

Cheryl

Oh sorry Cheryl, only just seen your reply as havent been on here alot the last day or so. Well i just groomed him again and its still there.. i had a go of taking piccies.. dunno if they are any help.
dryskin.jpg

Thanks. he doesnt appear bothered by it at all and he didnt jump or anything when i combed that bit so altho its very red it doesnt seem to be painful. What with what happened yesterday when i was in the city shopping, i totally forgot to go to the health food shop to get the aloe vera juice. Will have to wait til next week now. Id happily pop him over to you to have a look at Cheryl, im working all day saturday, then on nights so let me know when would be a good time :D

Back