• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat?

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hi there!!

How are you all? I hope you're doing great! I just have a quick question; what exactly is bloat? My friend has just got a new bunny and someone told her that they think he has bloat. She asked me what bloat was and I have absolutely no idea! I said i'd ask on here for her, as you guys are probably the most knowledgable people around when it comes to bunnies! :D She basically wants to know what causes it, what are the symptoms and how it is cured? If anyone can offer any help, we'd be most appreciative!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Bloat needs vet treatment, so if it's suspected that the rabbit has bloat, tell your friend to get him to her vet ASAP! The vet will be able to check and confirm it if it is bloat, and explain what it is.
I don't think there's home-treatment for bloat, but forgive me if I'm wrong - I think this is only with GI statis (where the gut stops) you can sometimes treat it (but I'd only recommend this if you've had experience/vet advice first!)
Signs of bloat would be a very bloated belly, the rabbit not eating or pooing, sitting in a corner looking miserable, a behavioural change, etc. They will also be in pain.

Rabbits can become very ill very quickly (or worse - die) with bloat, so vet treatment is very important

http://www.bunnyluadoptions.org.futuresite.register.com/_wsn/page2.html

bloat u usally find in baby rabbits which is cause by stress, from change of food, home ect, when they get stressed there digestive sytems closes down and stops working so the intestins become blocked and they r unable to pass and poos i would take the rabbit to the vet asap there r home treatments but has a slim chance of living iv home reared a few but not many make it but if u take it to the vet there is still a high risk of it dieing especially in babies
becky

hi

'bloat' is a build up of gas in the rabbit's stomach due to the food not moving through, or a blockage, new green foods causing gas etc...It sends the rabbit into shock from the pain - it won't eat or move much and may grind its teeth in pain. It can happen to rabbits at any age and can kill them at any age if they don't see a vet ASAP for treatment.

A good way to relieve the pain until you get to a vets is to give the bunny some infacol drops - like gripe water for babies and in the baby section at shops - this takes about an hour to work and if the rabbit's tummy is rubbed gently while its rear end is raised a bit, this can sometimes help the gas pass through.

The main thing if the bunny survives is to figure out what in its diet caused it - is it eating enough hay? Is it suddenly eating loads of greens when it's never had them before? Hope your friend's bunny is OK

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies. My friend had booked her bunn in at the vet, sorry I didn't mention that in my first post, but until she'd actually seen the vet she had no idea what bloat was. The vet's kept the bunn in, so fingers crossed! I'll pass all this info on to her.

Thanks again!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Back