• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye tests

haffyj

Mama Doe
DO vets do eye test for rabbits? its just i have notice crystals eye sight seems to be getting worse, her sight hasen't been the best any way but now i have noticed she is running into alot of things now like when she was out over the weekend she kept running into my legs and this morning and yesterday morning as i was putting my hand into her hutch to get her bowl she hopped into my arm!!! both times she has sortr of shook her head like she was in a daze and just sat down!!!

Being an albino i don't think her eyes were ever great

I'm not sure about eye tests as comprehensive as a human eye test... for example I'm not sure I can see a vet holding up a card with letters for the bunny to read out! ;-) However, I know they can check the responsiveness of the eye to stimuli, such as shining a light into the eye to see how quickly it reacts, so I should imagine that things such as movement tracking and reaction to stimuli would be the sort of things the vet could test for.

A rabbit losing its sight can still lead a happy life, just make sure there's nothing around to hurt her if she were to run into it, and nothing she can fall off if she doesn't see the edge. Poor thing though, she must be a little confused as to why she keeps hitting things!

AMETHYST

I might see if my vet will check then.

I havent really changed the set up of things like where i keep hutches Etc so she knows where hers is

Eve (who is a rat but I guess it's roughly the same) has no sight at all. YOu wouldn't know it to see her jump around her cage and bail out the door at every oportunity. The only time you know is if you put your hand across a path she expects to be clear and then she'll bump her nose.

Animals seem to work on the priniciple that if they think it's a clear path it will be where as I guess humans are a little more cautious.

Tam

ARC have had a few bunnies and piggies before who have been partially sighted who have managed extremely well. http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/history.asp?i=15 this tells a story about two partially sighted buns we previoulsy had and were rehomed.

The important thing is to ensure everything is put in the same place each time to ensure that they can find things, they usually cope well using smells and sounds to assist them. Having a friend also helps them manage better.

Janice

janice i have found that a friend is a good idea i had a totaly blind piggie and it relied on its friend a lot and it must be very reasuring for them. val

i actually am in the process of bonding her with smokey (My neutered male) hopefully when they are fully bonded he will help her about,

it is just when Sugar sees 'her man' with another female she gets rather upset (Even thou she doesn't like him coming near her as she is very protective over her daughter!!)

Back