• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT HELP NEEDED

Barney

Young Bun
Hi All,

Barney has been awfully lonely so I have been out today to get him a mate. She is 9 wks old and lets just say Barney is frustrated with his hormones is she okay to let this go on as I wouldn't want her bits to get damaged????? If you all know what I mean

Hiya firstly rule number one with bunnies, DONT PANIC :shock: :shock: :)
I assume Barney has been neutered?
If not, I would not advise putting them together until he is, and allowing six weeks post op. for the hormones to settle down, else you risk pregnancy aswell as accidential injury.

If putting bunnies together for the first time, it is very likely that mounting will take place as it is a natural way a bunny asserts his / her authority over another bunny.
Having said this, if it is just mounting but no actually biting that is taking place then everything should be fine.
IF Barney is neutered you could try bonding them but with caution as your Doe is so young. Perhaps only allow them to spend a few hours together to start with supervised, and split them up at night so they can have a break from each other.
I would be concerned however that your Doe may be stressed by attempting bonding at this stage, as she has only just arrived in a new home, so needs time to get used to her environment and you first :wink: :)

Where are they kept? Do they have a lot of room to run about in or are they confined in a hutch?
It is important the Doe feels she can get away from the Buck if she wants too, as like humans, bunnies need their own space from time to time.
I hope this helps?
best wishes

Hi Adele

Sorry for the other post but I wasn't sure where to put it.

We have let them be around each other for the first 10 mins but Barney kept trying to mount her and even tried to bite. He isn't neutered at the moment but is booked into the vet we are planning on keeping them apart for the time being but plan to put them together.

What I wanted to know really will she be okay if he does manage to mount and even bite her???? I just didn't know at such a young age whether or not he could damage her bits?

I'm all knew to this you see. :(

Thanks for all your advice though. :)

i would definitely keep them apart until he is neutered.
at such a young age i wouldnt attempt to pair the 2 up as there may be a big difference in size and he may crush her when he mounts her. did you try and pair them on neutral territory as that may be why he was aggressive and biting, although it could be because he is not neutered.
have you checked to make sure she is definitely a girl, where did you get her from? i am only saying this because i know pet shops sexing baby bunnies arent always the most reliable people.

sophie

we are planning on keeping them apart for the time being as you have suggested but what I was wondering will this harm her if they did mount?

She seems to be okay with the fact that he tried to mount and bite her and has been trying to get into his cage ever since is this a good thing?

Sorry forgot to add that we got her from pets at home and I asked them to checked her sex.

Changing homes is a stressful event for a baby bunny. It would be better to wait on any meetings until she settles in so you are not adding more stress.

The size different could means he accidently injures her.

After neutering you'll need to wait 6 weeks before introducing him as he'll still be fertile/have hormones. If your not careful she could end up pregnant.

For now it would be best to not let them intogether and instead house them seperately where they can see/smell each other. If you do this then after he has been neutered you should find introducing them much easier.

Tam

Sorry ... but have you had anyone else apart from the pet shop you bought your new rabbit from check the sex of the new rabbit. As Sophie said the local branches to us of this large national pet store do not have a good reputation for sexing rabbits and guinea pigs, if you haven't got someone else to check the sex please do so.

Janice

Barney is going to the vets on Thursday morning and I will get Sandy's sex checked out while I am there.

Ithink whot u ment was if your boy actualy penitrated the doe would it hurt her, a rabbit of that age would not lift herself into the position to be mated.Mating can only take place if the female is ready to mate and lifts her rear into position. As the others have stated it is far to early to introduce them the doe will be scared.If ur male is already mounting then it will be a very long time before he stops it so the doe will have to be a lot bigger to be able to withstand his advances. val

Check and make sure she is a girl please as I had a man come to me with a baby bun he had bought from P@H which was sold as a girl and he made them check while he was their it turned out to be Male.

The good news is Barney has now been neutered for a week now and will be paying a visit back to the vets for stictches out on Monday. He apears to have calmed down quiet a lot already. They are still separated as the vet said he will be still fertile up to a month.

Sandy is doing great and it a fantastic bunny she is so funny and very curious. I have had her checked out and the vet has confirmed she is all woman! Which is fab news! I am going to leave them separated until a months time and then start to introduce them and take it step by step. ....

Thanks for all the advice.

Back