• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny died...

Bunster

Young Bun
My rabbit, Phoebe, died on Thursday night. When we got home from work, we let her and Douglas out of the bun run, and Phoebe wouldn't come out. Usually, they are both itching to come out to have a run around the garden. When we coaxed her out, she just sat underneath the patio table and chairs. We knew something was wrong. We tried to tempt her with some pellets, but she wasn't interested. We then took her out for a closer look and she just didn't look right - she was very subdued - she's usually full of energy. She had a strange look on her - her eyes and her mouth just didn't look right. She looked like she had been shocked. We decided to take her straight to the vets. When we got there, she started fitting and was bleeding from her nose or mouth. She died at the vets. There was nothing they could do for her.

We collected her little body from the vets the next day. We thought the best thing to do was to bring her home in one piece and bury her in a place that she loved - our garden. It was so sad.

She was a beautiful rabbit - a chocolate-coloured Rex. She had long eyelashes and cute cheeks - a great girl-rabbit face. She looked so cute when she was eating. She did the most elaborate binkies on the lawn, and would climb all over Douglas and lie on top of him.

Having spoken to the vet and other (bunny) people, they think that it may have been e Coniculi. I had never heard of this before. I've had both of my bunnies vaccinated against VHD and Mixy, and treated with Rearguard against flystrike - I was completely unaware of e Coniculi. I feel so annoyed. I thought I had done everything. I was unaware that you could lose a bunny so suddenly. I am gutted.

The vet has check over Douglas and put him on a course of antibiotics (Baytril) and wormer (Panacur) just to be safe. Now, I can't work out if Douglas is depressed or drugged-up. I think it's a bit of both. He seems fine, but so lonely. He sniffs round the garden like he's looking for Phoebe. He's not as enthusiastic to get out the run or hutch. Usually he wolfs down his food but not so much now - but he still manages to eat it all. He doesn't seem as playful as he was before, but he has managed a few binkies on the lawn.

The death of a loved bunny brings on so many emotions. At first it was disbelief - I couldn't believe that bunny would not get better from this, I couldn't believe that a bunny could die so suddenly when I thought I had done everything I could for them in terms of vaccinations and protections. I thought it must have been me - I thought that I must have done something, feed them something wrong or that there was toxic plant in my garden that I should have known about. Then sadness - for Phoebe to die like that - she was only four months old - only a baby. She must have been so scared. Now, I worry for Douglas. I will be getting another bunny - Douglas needs a playmate - although, I will be waiting until he finishes his medication first. I would be grateful if you could share any kind thoughts or advice you have with me as only a bunny-lover would understand my loss.

:cry:

I am so sorry for your loss, you did your best for little Phoebe and it obviously wasn't anything you did. I hope Douglas is OK, give him lots of hugs, he'll be lonely without her.

This may sound silly but earlier this year my little girl bunny called Fern had to be put to sleep leaving Charlie bun on his own, I got him a teddy bear until he got a new bunny friend. He liked to snuggle up with the teddy (named Grunt) and lick it, I think it made him feel a bit better. Maybe you could get Douglas one, until he gets a new friend. I bought a baby one from mothercare so it was 'safe' and washable.

Binky free little Phoebe, you will be sadly missed. :cry:

I really feel for you that must have been awful.

Rest in peace little Phoebe!

Poor Douglas is probably pining he may not realise she has died but in the circumstances you couldn't really let him see her body so he may take a while to adjust. I am sure all the extra love and attention he is getting from you will bring him through though.

Did the vet send off some blood to test for E. cuniculi or even VHD? As bleeding from the orifices is often a symptom of VHD and vaccines are not 100% effective.

There are some references on E.c. here you may find helpful:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#ec

Caz

Omg im so sorry to hear about Phoebe, reading that made me cry. Rest in peace lil one! Sending all my love and support to you hun! xxx

I am very sorry about your rabbit, i think unfortuanatly i does sound more like VHD than anything else, especially the sudden fit before death. Did they do a post mortem?

Big hugs and bunny cuddles XXX

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel to lose such a young bunny. All our love and hugs. Special love to Douglas. :cry:

Sending huge hugs to you. She knew she was loved and that's the most important thing.

Really sorry to hear the sad story.

As others have said - it does sound more like VHD the EC.

With EC symptoms do tend to show first (not always) - our 2 buns both have tested postive for EC - and you normally spot some behavioural problems arising from either Kidney failure (less peeing, in pain, sludge etc) or the nervous system (fits, head tilt).

The cuddly toy idea is also a good one - we have one for Jaro which he often cuddles up to. We got a second bun for company for him, but she has had problems so we couldn't get her nuetered until this week.

Thoughts are with you

Martin + Pam

so sorry to hear of your sad loss, you sound like wonderful bunny parents and phoebe was obviously very well loved and cared for. sending hugs to you and douglas :love:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I dont think you could have done anything more than what you did. I have read a poem on another website that is about when a rabbit passes away and they cross what they call the rainbow bridge. I think this would be nice for you to read. I lost a guinea pig not long ago and it brings comfort to you. Just make sure you have a box of hankies beside you. :( Website address is www.ebonyeyes.co.uk
Rest in peace phoebe. always in the thoughts of those who loved you.

i am so sorry to hear of you loss , she sounded absolutely stunning .

you really did do all you could to keep them fit and healthy but as far as I am aware ( i don,t know alot about that dreadful disease) its often a silent killer . You must be hurting like hell just now tho and for that i,m truly sorry .

all my love to you and douglas . xx

Sorry about the loss of Phoebe... :(
At least she had the best 4 months of her life with you being her bunny mummy.
Big hugs to Douglas...((HUGS))

Thinking of you.
Leesa.

Huge hugs for you and Douglas, I'm thinking of you both.

~ binky free wee princess Phoebe, take our love to the spirit buns ~

There never seems anything adequate to add to posts like this as you must feel devastated by your loss but you did everthing right for your little girl and sometimes it real hard to pinpoint exactly what went wrong.

Try not to blame yourself, this is a natural reaction to your loss. I lost a little bunny last year and like you I just couldn't forgive myself for weeks, I just kept thinking there was something I'd missed, something I should have done differently but in the end after quite a while I managed to feel that although I couldn't save my special bunny I'd made a difference in his short life - so I hope you'll feel that too for the love Phoebe - now grazing happily with all our spirit buns.

Thank you for your kind, kind words. It's comforting to know that there are other bunny-lovers out there who understand. I have tried to post a picture of her that my boyfriend took on his mobile phone a couple of weeks ago - I hope it has worked, it's a bit huge this end! I don't know how to make it smaller as I am new to this forum technology (!). Wasn't she the cutest? That is Douglas's bottom in the background crawling underneath our clothes airers.

To reply to forum friends questions posted: I did have her vaccinated against VHD a few weeks ago, I didn't know that it cannot be 100% effective. We decided not to have a post mortem - we were so sad that we couldn't even think about that. I wanted to bring her home in one piece. :(

I have put a cuddly toy in with Douglas to see how he gets on. I have rubbed a little lavender scent on the toy - when we initially introduced Phoebe and Douglas I rubbed a little lavender oil on them to help them get used to eachother. I was told this by the pet shop and it did work. Douglas seems to be okay. I have given him some grapes - he loves grapes.

Thank you, Stephanie x

Back