• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly Poo's

Barney

Young Bun
Hi,

Woke up this morning to find Barney has trashed his cage, turning all his bedding up side down and has pooed all over the place :shock: :shock: . He has been potty trained since he was 12 weeks and I can't understand :? what the problem is with him lately this is getting to be a regular thing and was just wondering anyone has any ideas on what I can do?? :(

Thanks in advance!

Barney said:
Hi,

Woke up this morning to find Barney has trashed his cage, turning all his bedding up side down and has pooed all over the place :shock: :shock: . He has been potty trained since he was 12 weeks and I can't understand :? what the problem is with him lately this is getting to be a regular thing and was just wondering anyone has any ideas on what I can do?? :(

Thanks in advance!

Is he spayed? Charlie used to do this sort of thing a lot before he was spayed. Then again a bit when he live don his own for a while, I put it down to boredom. Has he got lots of toys to chew/throw around?

I have got a few things for him to chew on and rattles etc.. but he doesn't really play with the toys that we have bought him. He hasn't been spayed yet would you recommend this? He is a house rabbit and doesn't have much company apart from my B'friend's Mum during the day.

It does sound like he is going through his teenager stage. He may start to show other behaviours such as honking and circling your legs and spraying his urine at you :? !

If his urine starts to smell really bad and he starts spraying then for you and your furniture's health I would get him neutered.

Obviously once he is no longer fertile (6-8 weeks post-op) and his hormones have settled (may take up to three months to stop spraying etc but usually sooner) if he still is trashing his cage and looks bored you may need to look at other options such as enlarging his play area with lots of tunnels, boxes and things to chew or getting him a girlfriend for company to stop him getting bored.

Caz

Barney said:
I have got a few things for him to chew on and rattles etc.. but he doesn't really play with the toys that we have bought him. He hasn't been spayed yet would you recommend this? He is a house rabbit and doesn't have much company apart from my B'friend's Mum during the day.

I agree entirely with Caz - when I first had Charlie I fully intended to have him on his own and therefore didn't think about having him neutered until he started weeing on anything and everything. As soon as he was neutered this behaviour stopped and he was perfectly litter trained. He still trashed his cage, so I decided that he needed a friend. Once he and Fern lived together he stopped trashing his cage. Bunnies like to be with other bunnies or people, if Barney is left on his own a lot he's probably a bit bored and takes it out on his cage for something to do, its the same as human children attention seeking. Try giving him lots more things to play with, I used to give Charlie a phone book to shred, I was happier for him to do that rather his blankets or worse still my carpet/furniture when he was out of the cage. :shock:

BevBunny said:
I used to give Charlie a phone book to shred, I was happier for him to do that rather his blankets or worse still my carpet/furniture when he was out of the cage. :shock:

I agree with phone books - hours of fun! Train pocket timetables are a good minature substitute if you're short on space. A whole toilet roll is brilliant too, as they can shred it and it rolls as they do so! Failing that, definitely an increase in space and/or a girlfriend.

AMETHYST

i agree with what has been said maybe you should think about getting him booked in to be neutered and then maybe a girlie friend as he may be bored and frustrated on his own in the day.

sophie

i agree with what has been said maybe you should think about getting him booked in to be neutered and then maybe a girlie friend as he may be bored and frustrated on his own in the day.

sophie

Back