• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

breeds

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi, i think im gunna be gettin a rabbit soon, but i dont know what breed to get, can u please reccomend?
it will be my first rabbit so it needs to be easy to lookafter,. it will be living outdoors, i would like it to be quite cute n fluffy, but not too much fluff so that u have 2 grooom it everyday.

what breed would you reccommend?

something small would probably be good. All rabbits need alot of care and attention so there is no 'easy' breed.
A mini or dwarf lop or netherland dwarf would probably be best to start with, or perhaps a lionhead that isnt too fluffy.
Do lots of research first so that you know what a rabbit would need. Also maybe you could visit a local rescue centre and see if any there grab your attention and also you could talk to the staff there about the rabbit.

i think that you are better off going to a rescue and seeing what rabbit they would recommend for you, as they will know the rabbit best. i have fostered lots of dutch rabbits and have found that these have normally got lovely personalities and all the ones i have had have been very friendly.

have you considered getting 2 rabbits, so they have company in the day when you arent there to make a fuss of them?

sophie

I agree go along to ur local centre and see whot they have, although my love is dwarf lops for temprement i have some very loving crossbreeds as well that are up for addoption, so its not an easy thing to recomend a breed to u.If u do want a pure breed then go for dwarf lop or mini lop, the mini lop is more adventures, and out going the dwarf i liken to labradors there like coach potatoes when they get to adult hood and like nothing more than kisses and cuddles . val

Just go to a rescue, tell em what u want in a rabbit, not a breed as such, and they can pair u up rightly!! Sorted!! :D

sophiemarmion said:
i think that you are better off going to a rescue and seeing what rabbit they would recommend for you, as they will know the rabbit best. i have fostered lots of dutch rabbits and have found that these have normally got lovely personalities and all the ones i have had have been very friendly.

sophie

Hiya Sophie, it is funny you should mention this, as I was going to say that Dutch bunnies are great traditional breed bunnies, with super gentle characters :)
They are very striking with their bands of colour, and seem to be a strong breed healthwise.
Most breeds are great though, but the traditional pure breeds tend to have less problems than say Lops(who are a pure breed) who can sometimes be prone to ear and teeth issues.
Rex have a lovely velvety coat :)
Lionheads are good if you want a bit of fluff :!: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Angoras and Cashmeres are difficult to look after especially if they are your first bunny.
Hope you find your special bunny (s) very soon.

best wishes

I really wanted a dutch, Until I was told by a couple of friends that they were the worst breed temperment-wise you could ever own, Im so mad now!! :) But hey, I got Charlie instead, and although he's a grump, he's my perfect grump!! :lol: :lol:

beckiboo186 said:
I really wanted a dutch, Until I was told by a couple of friends that they were the worst breed temperment-wise you could ever own, Im so mad now!! :) But hey, I got Charlie instead, and although he's a grump, he's my perfect grump!! :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: I have never met or heard of a fierce Dutch bunny yet :)
I am glad you now have your perfect grumpy bunny :thumb: ..i Think :!: :roll: :roll: :!: :?: :?: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my dutch boy eddie is absolutely lovely, he can be running in the garden and if you call his name he will run straight up to you, to give you a good lick!

sophie

aah well, there is always next time. Or when my little angel needs a sister!! :roll: (not that im dreaming of the day or anything lol) Becki xx

taylor v 109 said:
the dwarf i liken to labradors there like coach potatoes when they get to adult hood and like nothing more than kisses and cuddles . val

That sums Sophie right up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

loopylop said:
taylor v 109 said:
the dwarf i liken to labradors there like coach potatoes when they get to adult hood and like nothing more than kisses and cuddles . val

:lol: :lol: :lol: aaaawwww now Sophie is just adorable....she is one well bred bunny :D :D :D :D

sophiemarmion said:
my dutch boy eddie is absolutely lovely, he can be running in the garden and if you call his name he will run straight up to you, to give you a good lick!

sophie

what a sweetheart, me wants Eddie licks :p :p :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
loopylop said:
taylor v 109 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: aaaawwww now Sophie is just adorable....she is one well bred bunny :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :!: :!: :lol:

Adele, I have really never met another bun like her! I know us moms are biased towards our buns... but she is just sooo soppy!!! :lol:

Yaaay, crossbreeds rock! Well all rabbits rock hehe. But for a first time bunny I would personally recommend a crossbreed. I have always had crossbreeds, and I think I will continue to do so. :D :wink: All rabbits a good but none are easy to look after. If you want a pure breed I would suggest a more popular breed.

Don’t get a Chinchilla breed unless you are prepared for a hunt! Phew *wipes brow* its hard work but me getting there. :D :D

het
what about mini rex they are best bunnies ever :D :lol: they r small there not fluffy but they the best coat ever just like velvet and extreamly freindly
becky

Back