• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

leaking bunnies!!!!

Milly and Bonnie both tested negative for EC which we were really pleased about. However Milly still piddles on the floor and right next to his litter tray, he will then drink it and flick it everywhere :roll:
As i clear one lot away he will do another one, he won't do it throughout the day when we are not there well maybe one but as soon as we are in he starts peeing and pooing everywhere. Bonnie does the occasional one on the floor, hers are always very colourful :shock:
Both still drink loads, what can we do?????????

Any ideas at all, i have cleaned up 11 piddles today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D
Please, pretty please xxxxxxx with cherries and hundreds and thousands on tooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do they just have one tray? Try adding another one or two. Not all bonded bunnies like to share the same spot. He might know he's meant to be going in the tray but can't cos thats Bonnie's spot.

It sounds like its something to do with what he's thinking rather than something physical so you just have to work out whats going on inside his head... Not always the easiest thing to do tho :lol:

They have 2 trays and he chooses to use neither :roll: Have just cleared up 2 more, tried moving the tray where he has gone but he then goes somewhere else :shock: :shock: :shock: He digs first and then pees, have tried grabbing him mid wee and putting him in the tray but he is almost always done by the time i get to him :roll:
He has acces to a bowl of water and a bottle which is fresh daily or more when it is really hot but he still drinks his wee after he has done it :? :? :?
Are bunnies like men, never quite sure what is going on in their heads :lol:

umm, try saying no when he starts the digging. If he doesn't react to that you can clap your hands for emphasis. Hopefully he'll pause long enough for you then to pop him in the litter tray.

A larger tray, different litter? Might be worth experimenting with things like that.

Do he always do it next to the tray or all over?

I doubt the drinking it has anything to do with being particularly thirsty. Bunnies just don't think of drinking wee as ewww. I guess you could try getting him a mineral stone.

Are you doing anything in particular at the time he does it? E.g. are you concentrating on something other than him so he's trying to get your attention?

Tam

He only really does it when i am around, never really Mark!!!
Have tried clapping and saying no and he just looks at me as if i am mad :shock:
Tried new litter with them and they seem to prefer catsan. Mark thinks it could be an attention thing but he isn't ignored far from it, he used to be really good, he would go up off upstairs have a wee in his tray and then come back down to see us, it's been about a month or so since he stopped using the tray :? :? :? :? :?

Karly said:
Doesn't Catsan contain clay? Unless they have a 100% wood one I've never heard of..

We use catsan hygeine which is chalk and quartz sand not clay, the bunsters used this before we had them and we have tried changing to other sorts but they really didn't get on with them, they ate the woodbase ones :roll: and we were told it could swell in their tummies, they hated megazorb and hemp so we went back to catsan, they have never eaten it which is good.

Catsan Sensitive Naturelle offers the comforting softness of natural softwood granules for pure absorbing action, long-lasting odour prevention and hygiene. It's dust free, with a pleasant odour.

Catsan Hygiene offers extra mineral protection for extra-reliable cat hygiene. Individual grains of fine chalk and natural quartz sand soak up fluid like a sponge, to inhibit bacteria formation and absorb odours before they can develop.

Copied this info of their website :D

Hiya just a thought :idea:
Do you pop a handful of hay on top of the in the litter tray :?:
The reason I ask this, is that bunnies usually like to munch and toilet at the same time...we have had much more success with litter trays since we put hay in aswell, as the bunnies hop in to have a chew and do droppings / wee at the same time :wink: :)

Best wishes

Adele said:
Hiya just a thought :idea:
Do you pop a handful of hay on top of the in the litter tray :?:
The reason I ask this, is that bunnies usually like to munch and toilet at the same time...we have had much more success with litter trays since we put hay in aswell, as the bunnies hop in to have a chew and do droppings / wee at the same time :wink: :)

They have a hay rack over the tray in their puppy crate but they still sit outside it and eat hay and pee on the floor, will try putting some in the tray and see how that goes, thanks everybody for all your help, maybe milly is just going through a midlife crisis, prehaps i should buy him a sports car and get him a date with a hot young doe....shhhhhhh don't tell bonnie :wink: :lol:

Mark said:
Adele said:
They have a hay rack over the tray in their puppy crate but they still sit outside it and eat hay and pee on the floor, will try putting some in the tray and see how that goes, thanks everybody for all your help, maybe milly is just going through a midlife crisis, prehaps i should buy him a sports car and get him a date with a hot young doe....shhhhhhh don't tell bonnie :wink: :lol:

aaargghh! well perhaps they dont like sitting directly on the litter stuff you use, and by adding some hay over the top it may encourage them to hop into the tray and rummage around, and hopefully wee at the same time :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think the sports car and date should be back up plan B :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can but try these things, he has always been such a well trained bunster, used his litter tray happily, bonnie is good and will wee, poo and sleep in it the problem really is Milly at the moment, Bonnie has the occasional accident outside the tray but very rarely now since she has been treated for EC :D
I could understand if we had changed things but nothing has, same litter, tray etc etc, I shall try the hay trick and see if that intices him back into the tray :D :D

Thanks so much to everyone for all the good advice, where would we be without it :D

ps, hope you and david are feeling better today xxxx

Aww... how is bun getting on today with the litter tray? Is it just a normal tray or a corner high back tray? I found Soph much preffered the high back tray! :D

Naughty bunnies :no: making their mommy clean up all that wee!

loopylop said:
Aww... how is bun getting on today with the litter tray? Is it just a normal tray or a corner high back tray? I found Soph much preffered the high back tray! :D

Naughty bunnies :no: making their mommy clean up all that wee!

Cleared up a couple before going out, came back and cleared up 2, now i am home though i think he will produce more for me :roll: Maybe they are love tokens :D :D :D
His litter tray is a normal cat one, a large one though, he hasn't had a problem using it in the past though :?

Bless him... :lol: these rabbits def keep us on our toes! :roll: :shock:

Mind you, if he is just peeing anywhere, getting a high back tray probably wouldn't make any difference would it! :?

I dont' know what to suggest for you really, I have tried doing some research for you, but have some up with nothing that matches your situation!!!! Naughty buns, lol!!!! :lol: What are they like eh?

Maybe it's just a fad, and as long as they are in good health, then I suppose it couldn't be anything to worry about, it's just annoying for you I'm sure!!!! :wink:

Back