• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust - Please Read

cassie10

New Kit
Hi all
Scented or not scented, i was reading somewhere that scented was harmful to a rabbit but can't remember were i saw it.

I found it, it says Avoid pine scented beddings (the kind you're most likely to buy at the pet store) like the plague! (Many studies show that they cause liver damage in small animals - and there's mounting evidence that they may irritate your bunny's respiratory system too). Opt for brands made with unscented wood shavings or compressed newspaper instead.

A bit scary don't you think

someone please help

Lyn

i always use newspaper and find that it is easier just to whip out the dirty newspaper and to replace it will new paper. it is important that your hutch stays nice and clean this time of the year as some rabbits do get fly strike.
it isnt always a good idea to use sawdust as it can affect the bunnies breathing.

sophie

I hav enot heard of problems with using scented sawdust, i would just be awaare of it incase anything pops up heath wise with ur rabbit. I have used the lemon one and the lavender one but only for a short while as with my lot it would have been to expencive. [i have 85]. val

i usually get the sawdust from wilkos but my mum got me sum yestaday wen she was out coz i needed sum its the mayfeild 1 i think n that has a strong smell i dont think its scented just the smell of the wood but its real strong

sawdust is too fine, wood shavings would be better! That stuff about the liver damage has also been connected with the normal ones too. It is because pine is a softwood, meaning it releases harmful toxins known as phenols. :wink:

I use carefresh!

Actually I too prefer not to use sawdust at all, wood shavings are better than sawdust as sawdust is too fine and can cause problems with eyes and breathing. Megazorb is even better, that's what we use most of the time, it's more absorbent and doesn't smell when wet.

well i use the wood shavings then not sawdust silly me :oops:
i thought they wer just the same thing but apperently not still call it sawdust tho lol

I used to use wood shavings 6 years ago, but I no longer keep the rabbit in cage. It's much better for the rabbit. Now at the litter box spot, I just put newspaper over there.

I always thought even if the wood shavings is not harmful, the very fine powder of the wood, if he breathes it, wouldn't be good for him anyway.

It's like when we use industrial tool like chainsaw, we have a vaccum tube built as part of the machine to suck the powder off so that the user doesn't have to breathe those powder. So won't it make sense the same thing applies to bunnies?

As my buns are litter trained and don't live in hutches I only need to provide something in their litter trays. I use newspaper and and top that off with hay. AsSophie said its much easier too just tip out nd wipe the trays down. I have read many articles on using wood shavings and the general concensus seems to be don't.

I use wood based cat litter.. just checked the bag and it is made from pine. Does this mean i shouldnt use it? Or is it just pine that is fine powder?

wood shaving costs money anyway. Newspaper is free. And litter box training is so easy, 20 min. is all it takes for me.

hi

I know sawdust is too fine for their eyes and lungs, but I did wonder if the phenols given off by wood shavings (supposedly build up and poison the liver over time) were in the wood based cat litter too? I guess they must be - I use paper based litter because of this, although without those pine-fresh phenols it doesn't smell so good - my daft bunnies eat it too!

I'm not sure if the liver poisoning issue would be serious unless your bunny had an attack of stasis or a general anaesthetic for some reason - both of those things also put strain on the liver.

I use a hemp bedding that is highly absorbent and dust free and then shredded paper and hay in the litter box, the hemp bedding is great i just scoop out the wet bits and top it up-so easy

Diddeen said:
I use wood based cat litter.. just checked the bag and it is made from pine. Does this mean i shouldnt use it? Or is it just pine that is fine powder?

From the link I posted:

Compressed sawdust pellets - inexpensive, highly absorbent litters used in many foster homes. They are made from softwood or hardwood sawdust, but they are not toxic because the phenolic compounds are removed during their manufacture. Their wood composition helps control bacterial growth and odors. Wood stove fuel pellets and Feline Pine are two examples of this product.

Caz

aaah thanks for that Caz.. that makes me feel happier now.. i can go buy another bag without worrying now :D

I have also switched from shavings to Megazorb, which I just put in their litter trays. I have found a local stables where I can just get a couple of bags at a time, and they seem to last well.

Back