• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long to give eye drops?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
ive been giving Gabriel eye drops now for just over a week. i have been giving him his drops in the evening after bathing his eyes. for most of the next day then his eyes look relatively clear and bright but by the evening again it is weeping(its mainly the one eye) he has also been on baytril for the past week incase it was pasturella that is causing his weepiness.

im just wondering how long is it safe to give the drops for? my vet forgot to tell me and she is away this week so i cant find out until next week.

im also wondering how long it should be until his eye clears up completely if it is conjuctivitus/pasturella? could it be that it is neither of these, and that it may be something more sinister such as a blocked tear duct?(sp?) :?

Usualy tis for a week to ten days , but if there is no omprovement yet it would seem not to be working. Is it a clear disscharge or a pussy one as the treatment would be different. Ur rabbit may have a blockage in the tear duct, if this is the case the drops will not work. Maybe when u get back to the vet u should mention the duct if its not clear by then . val

do you know what the drops are called? what are they for?

i know that my bunnies are normally on tiacil if they are having eye drops. sadie has just had her tear ducts flushed and the vet has said to keep her on them for 5 more days.

can you not just give your vet a quick call just to be on the safe side!

sophie

the drops he is on are called: Fucithalmic Vet, viscious eye drops.

all it says in the little leaflet is that if there is no improvement after 5 days to contact the vet. well there has definately been some improvement, just not a total one :?

the vet did mention that a worse case senario may be that he has blocked tear ducts so i shall see what she thinks when i go up again.

think i shall have to give the vets a ring in the morning and see if anyone else knows how long they can be used for.

oh, the discharges seems to be a sort of white discharge as far as i can tell, will have to take a closer look in a minute and let you know!

I had Zeus on fucithalmic for three months and it was fine, it really helped to clear up his chronic eye infection (stemmed from his tooth root problem) in conjunction with Baytril.

Zeus' eye responded much better to the Fucithalmic than the Tiacil, which I tried first. I would keep going until you can consult with your vet as you don't want it to get worse, a change to Tiacil may be a good idea now as the bacteria that are left may be more susceptible to a change in antibiotic.

Caz

uve got the right thing for the eyes anyway, but as soon as u can i would ring the vet to say there is no improvement. I would have thought the vet could have told u if it was an infection in the eye, if not then ask about flushing the duct. If ur rabbit is placid this can be done while awake i have a few done at my vets and theve all been done awake.Helps to have placid rabbits cuts down on expences lol.
best of luck. val

Back