• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

omg - how do you know a vet is safe!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have just called a vet to try to find out the average price for rabbit castration, to be honest i was happy paying £51 a rabbit but £120for hagrid to be done is a bit much! so i called the first vet i come acrossed in the yellow pages called vet arc. and they have quoted £15 for my british giant :shock: :shock: now i am ******** myself because i would hate to book him in if they were a bunch of cow boys! how could i find out!

eve x

The only way is to check if they're registered witht he RWA, or ask someone who already uses them (if you know anyone).

Otherwise, you could phone them up with a list of standard rabbity questions that you'd expect a good vet to know.

£15 does seem a bit too cheap, if you know what I mean. They do anesthetise don't they? I read that a few years ago they used to do boys without any anaesthetic. OUCH!

Mine has recently charged me £18.50 and Buster is fine - He didnt have any stitches as the nics were so small. And my vet is brilliant

The price also depends on area I think. I seem to remember that the further north you go the cheaper it is - much like houses :lol:

thanks everyone! it says the are rscv accreddited, i take it there are good then and at £15 mad!

eve x

Nix said:
The only way is to check if they're registered witht he RWA, or ask someone who already uses them (if you know anyone).

Otherwise, you could phone them up with a list of standard rabbity questions that you'd expect a good vet to know.

£15 does seem a bit too cheap, if you know what I mean. They do anesthetise don't they? I read that a few years ago they used to do boys without any anaesthetic. OUCH!

I watch a program once and there was a cat having his bits removed and they were ripping them off the poor cat!!!! :shock:

I prefer to go somewhere recommended by someone else who has rabbits. I went to the one Cheryl uses as they are obviously very experienced. Other people ive spoken to who have asked about finding a good vet ive always said to ring their local rabbit rescue and find out who they use as at least you know they will have spayed/neutered plenty of rabbits.

When we moved vets, i phoned and asked a whole bunch of questions like, do any of your vets spelialise in Rabbits, What anaesthetic do you use for rabbits, what antibiotics do you use for rabbis, ect ect!! they eventually asked if i would like to come to the surgery and speak to the small animal vets. so i did i had a wee nosey round the practice and spoke to the vets and was totoally impressed!!! and i have been ever since!!! They charge £44 for a male and £44 for a female, they do this as they tend to get more female bunnies than male!

Phill said:
When we moved vets, i phoned and asked a whole bunch of questions like, do any of your vets spelialise in Rabbits, What anaesthetic do you use for rabbits, what antibiotics do you use for rabbis, ect ect!! they eventually asked if i would like to come to the surgery and speak to the small animal vets. so i did i had a wee nosey round the practice and spoke to the vets and was totoally impressed!!! and i have been ever since!!! They charge £44 for a male and £44 for a female, they do this as they tend to get more female bunnies than male!

i would not know the answer even if i did ask what anestic they use! :shock: :lol: :lol:

eve x

If you look it up eve then you could take a peice of paper with loads of questions with you! The RWA have a good questions list!

bunnylove said:
Phill said:

i would not know the answer even if i did ask what anestic they use! :shock: :lol: :lol:

eve x

The questions and correct answers are listed on the first three sites I posted.

Caz

Caz said:
bunnylove said:
Phill said:

eve x

I KNOW CAZ I WAS HAVIN A LAUGH WITH PHIL! THANKS AGAIN

EVE X

The questions and correct answers are listed on the first three sites I posted.

Caz

Call 4 vet near your area in case of future infection, put the one with the price in the middle. Don't pick the lowest price one. That's what I would do.

Back