• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD limp

missshell

Mama Doe
Darby has just got home from the vets after having her VHD jab. Since we let her out shes staggering (Like shes dizzy) and limping like she cant put presure on her back left leg.I've heard of limping after the jab. Does this sound like it? How long can i expect it to last? I'd be grateful for any info. x

2 of my rabbits had a limp after VHD, Petey was worse, though it was his front paw. suppose it depends on the rabbit as to which paw is affected and where the jab was put in...........

Petey was alot better in 24 hrs, but stil had a slight limp for 2 -3 days after, it got better and better as each day went on (either that or he was playing for sympathy which wouldnt surprise me :lol: :lol: )

I gave Petey & Twinkle a vitamin drink for a few days just to help them get better.

Good luck and sending hugs to your bun.

Hiya,

Limping seems to be a fairly common reaction. I'm a little unsure about the staggering around as well though. It might be an idea to give your vet a ring and discuss it just incase she's having a bad reaction to it.

Tam

Yeah I would ring your vet just to check. My two went last week to have their VHD jabs and I was all prepared for limping but they were fine :) I wonder if it's a particular batch that causes the limping?

I have had lots of buns have a limp after the VHD but it is always in the front paw. I have never heard of a bun with a back paw limp :? The staggering does not sound right at all.
I would phone the vet and ask questions - something sounds wrong here :?
Let us know what you find out and how Darby is.

Hi thanks for the replies.After a big sleep in the living room Darby now seems back to normal. Shes hopping around the garden eating leaves jumping up and down the steps. . Obviously we'll be keeping a close eye on her. But thankfully she seems ok again.x

Hi, well shes still limping a bit but is still much better. She hates the car which won't have helped. Still running round the garden even though she knows its bedtime!

The next morning now and she still has it, not 24hrs yet though. I just want to describle her "limp" to see how it compares with anything you may have seen.

She runs around as normal then every so often one of her legs seems to give and she stumbles. I can't tell which one. She gets up straight away and sits as if to say "I wasn't expecting that" and goes into a bit of a huff for a while. She's eaten her carrot and seems her normal self otherwise.

I've already phoned the vet, he's operating so will call me back, but I wanted to know if the symptoms sounded familiar in case I've confused anyone when I said she was staggering.

She still managed to jump up two steps in one go when we tried to get her in last night!

Thanks for all your support, Darby sends hugs! x

Back