• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VET CHECK OR NOT??? Jess was limping now shes not HELP!!!!

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Ok guys any ideas???

Put Jess outside on the patio last night so I could clean and mop up her pen (shes a very messy girl) after she had been outside for about half hour she was sittig very quietly, and not really moving much, first put it down to her sulking as we hadnt put her next to Petey, then she moved and I noticed her holding up her back right leg, I immediatly brought her in and had a good look at it, there was no blood or wounds as far as I could tell, andshe didnt flinch when I moved the foot or leg, she had some quite thick mats of fur on the base of her foot which I gently snipped away, but left 1 large mat as she had the same thing on the other foot aswell (rabbits dont have pads on their feet like dogs do they?)

Anyway Ive booked her into the vets for tomorrow, but I am at a loss as to what she may have done, there seems to be no missing or irritated skin.fur so Ive ruled out sore hocks. She isnt a very active rabbit but as far as I could tell she was fine beforeI put her on the patio???

The only thing that I can think of is she doesnt like Twinkle going near Petey, and when they are in their room she stamps her foot alot, now they are housed on Lino which is ontop of carpet (to keep the noise down) so its quite cushioned, but I wondered if she stamped her foot on the concrete and hurt it???? Could this be possible or are their feet/legs stronger than that???

She is eating and drinking and Pooing fine and even managed to leap from her bed into the litterbox last night, so I dont think she can be in too much pain or discomfort.

Has she had a vaccination recently?

The fur shouldn't be matted but it does protect the foot. If it was matted it could have a bruise left over from where she'd been walking on it.

Tam

No she had both her vaccs, Myxi & VHD back in April just after we got her, I know VHD has the side effect of a limp as Petey had it when he had his VHD in April.

Should i cut the 2 remaining mats out then?(1 on each foot) I cut the others out as they were sort of small round balls, but there is a largeish (about size of a 1penny) mat which is flat just under her toes on each foot, I left them as I wasnt sure if it was a mat or a pad, as im not sure if Rabbits have pads on their feet, I was also worried about trimming the fur too short as I know it is supposed to be protective on their hocks.

She seems to keep licking her foot though but i cant tell if shes licking the underside or top.

Could it be a grass seed or something stuck in her foot? They are quite small, my old dog used to get them all the time and they are nasty things and very hard to find.

Kerri C said:
Could it be a grass seed or something stuck in her foot? They are quite small, my old dog used to get them all the time and they are nasty things and very hard to find.

I had a good look at her last night as she needed some a bit of a wash after Petey spraying her face :shock: YUK!!

She was a good girl and Laid on her back in my lap so I could see to her, I had a good feel of her feet, and ankles and legs, felt both legs/feet so I could see if I could feel anything obvious or different to the other leg, she let me stretch her foot and leg out and in and there seemed no restriction of movement and she didnt flinch or anything which I thought she would have done if she had really hurt it or broke it????

Poor jessie, shes such a cutie and a real snuggle bun, she loves being picked up and cuddled I hate seeing any of them unwell.

Thank goodness Louis is his boucy self again after his trip to the vet last week.

Aww, she sounds a really good girl :D With a matt that big it might be better to try combing out or if its a dirty matt (e..g. a squdgy poop) dunking that foor in water and washing it out. I'm just thinking if you trim that amount of fur off the foot isn't going to have any protection for the floor :?

If not I'd let the vet check it before trimming incase it's something else thats causing the problem.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Aww, she sounds a really good girl :D With a matt that big it might be better to try combing out or if its a dirty matt (e..g. a squdgy poop) dunking that foor in water and washing it out. I'm just thinking if you trim that amount of fur off the foot isn't going to have any protection for the floor :?

If not I'd let the vet check it before trimming incase it's something else thats causing the problem.

Tam

Yeah thats what i thought which is why i didnt trim it out last night, its not squigy poo or anything just looks like a lot of mated fur, I must admit Ive never checked her feet for mats, I comb her coat through regularly as she can get mated round her legs and bottom so I just brush it out (which I also did last night) But It never occured to me that the bottom of her feet would get matted, the fur is alot courser there so I didnt think it would grow the same (seems a silly assumption now I think about it :roll: )

Anyway shes booked into the vets for tomorrow so we will see then.

The vet apptmt isnt till 4:50 this afternoon, but I dont know whether to still take her as she is no longer limping :roll:

When Ifed her last night before going to bed she wasnt limping, and this morning shes been putting her full weight back on it and running and leaping around on it.

should I still take her to the vet, or maybe leave her over the weekend and if she shows any further signs of it then rebook to take her on monday???

what should I do???

I have decided to cancel the vet apptmt and keep an eye on her over the weekend, she is now scampering around the kitchen with no sign of a sore foot or limp!!!

I think these bunnies just like trying to worry me!! :lol: :lol:

Hi,

I had the same thing with Billy on Monday, he started limping and not putting pressure on his right paw. It got better to the stage of not wanting to put too much pressure on it but he started to use it to wash his face etc all over a period of about an hour.

I was sure he must have just hurt it thundering round the lounge on the wood floor like a rabbit out of hell :lol: :lol: :lol: If I thought it had been anything else I would have taken him for an x ray but thank god it just got better and better. It took until Wednesday to be back to normal but it
gave me a bit of a jolt so he is insured now!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure if it was anything really bad you would have known and gone with the appointment.

Best wishes

Maureen

Back