• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help needed- UPDATE

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
found my bunny with trapped head in fence.
dismantled the fence to get her out. don't know how long she'd been there. now she cant close one of her eyes, what should i do?

No sign of anything.
Brought her inside and she's hopping around the rug, but she hasn't blinked with one eye, but she has with the other.

Maybe she's temporarily damaged nerve endings, I'd take her to the vet tomorrow if it's still the same. Do you have any Metacam to give her?

Damaged/swollen the nerves one side maybe? Is anything else effected - whiskers, droopy lip?

Can she breath okay, is there any swelling around her neck?

She's breathing alright, it was hard to check around her neck because she has a large dewlap. I have had a closer look at her eye, and it looks scratched. The inner eye lid isn't moving. Don't have any metacam. Is their anything else I could give her?

If she doesn't seem too bothered by it and she's eating fine, I'd not risk giving her anything else. Best to take her to the vet first thing though if it's scratched.

She's currently sat on the rug, and has had a good long drink of water. She's not eaten any food yet. She's very quiet... must have been a nasty shock. She's only 8 months old, I hope she doesn't do this again, or she'll be confined to her run.
Will keep her inside tonight, and see if I can see the vet tomorrow. I know they have emergency slots kept free.

She's just eaten 2 of her chocolate drops I've put on top of her food bowl.
In fact she's wolfed down her ration for the day.
Just concerned with the scratch on her eye, and not blinking.

Took her to the vets today.
Vet has given her a clean bill of health (ish)
She has a badly bruised neck and a scratch on 1 eye (which she has some drops for).
She is still feeling sorry for herself but at least there is no permanent damage (fingers crossed)

Mad_cat_rabbit said:
She's just eaten 2 of her chocolate drops I've put on top of her food bowl.

What exactly is a chocolate drops? I never heard of rabbit likes chololate.

I do know that if dogs eats chololate, they'll die.

I think she probably means choc drops for bunnies that you can get from pet shops.

Small amounts of human chocolate aren't harmful to dogs, some dogs seem to cope with it ok (my mom's dog once stole a whole box of thornton's continental and ate it but was ok :shock: ). It's not recommended though!

I'm against feeding it to buns because they are so much smaller, I know there was a big argument on here a while ago as some people have fed it and found it to be ok. The general consensus is that it's safer to avoid it, however.

I am glad bun has had a clean bill of health from vet. I have only just seen the thread.

As regards chocolate drops mine have bunny choc drops every night and I daren't miss a night as they bang and rattle the wire on their hutches until they get them.

Back