• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonnie bunny is not well :*(

jennee

Young Bun
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my sad Bonnie story with you guys..

She is doing so poorly right now that I can't get myself to even leave the house to do my stuff anymore :cry: She has this HUGE swollen eye that won't seem to go down. She is also pussing pretty bad and I have to wipe them away with a gauze. A weird thing is that when I go near her, she will get up on her hind legs to look at me and only 1 ear goes up but the other (the side with the swollen eye) stays down..

It's weird because ever since I got a new dog crate for her the ring around her eye got pink but I didn't think much of it then 2 days later it swelled up and started to puss when I got up in the morning. I couldn't take her because it was a sunday so I took her the following day on Monday and by then it swelled even more!

The vet says it's pastorella(sp?) but she has no sniffles. He first said that her ears were fine after checking them but I asked to check it just once more because I have seen her shake her head before. He did and says that it's in the left ear. He gave me some pills I have to grind for her and syringe feed her(in which I do by squeezing some cherry juice in with water which seems to be working fine) as well as some eye drops for her eyes and ear and a antibiotic shot.

I looked up the FAQ rabbit eye thread and think it may be either Corneal ulceration, Glaucoma, Retrobulbar Abscess, and/or Tear duct infection. Maybe my vet might be wrong? He says if she shows no sign of healing, then bring her back after 3 days.

My mom thinks it's the dog crate when they push their faces against the bars and there are some bars that are cut off straight not rounded at the ends and maybe she hit her eye and it got infected? For now we have her and Bambi separated because the vet says it's contagious and they both miss each other so much :cry:

*big sigh* I am totally going broke-status because I keep taking her for eveything I see wrong with her.. and of course they charge me for examining fee everytime.. :roll: But gotta try to the best I can right? It sure is hard being a mommy. It seems right after she gets better, it's something else..

Please if I may ask, include Bonnie in your prayers if it is not too much to ask for. Thank you for reading my long post I will come back to update a few days later for those who understand. Wish us luck!

It sounds like she may have hurt her eye on the metal of the dog crate - I would take her back to another vet asap.

Good luck :D

lol Pam

Hiya! My rabbit lilly has Pasturella in her eye, she has had it for abou 5months now total! at first we thought it was an eye infection of somekind but after many treatments i didn't clear and we have since descovered that it is pasturella. She doesn't really get a snotty nose only occasionally and she doesn't sneeze at all. She has eye drops and occasionally some antibiotics but other than that she's fine. She has good days and bad days with it, on a good day her eye looks totoally normal! and on a bad day it swells and shuts, but she is ok and it hasn't changed her one bit!
Im sorry to hear that your bun is feeling so unwell but buns can live with it quite happily and they don't always get snotty and sneezy. Sending big cuddles and lots of vibes XXXXXXXX

Hiya,

I'm sorry to hear you bun is unwell :(

Did the vet say what was causing her eye to swell? Pastreulla's wouldn't usually do this on it's own I don't think, is it the eye lids or does it look like it's popping out of her head?

Is the other eye fine?

Did the vet check her teeth? Problems in that area are often linking with the roots of the teeth which are very long in rabbits.

Where in the UK are you? Maybe someone can recommend a vet thats an expert in bunnies and might have more suggestions.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

I would keep him indoor for close observation from now on.

If you ran out of money, get some family member to pay the bill by credit card, and pay back that family member on a month by month basis in the near future.

hi

This is a good article which may help you:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Did your vet do a test on the pus like it mentions in the above article? Without a test he can't be sure it's the pasteurella bacterium...A test would take a few days to be analysed at a lab and cost more money, but at least if you knew it was/wasn't pasteurella, you could put her back with her mate - which will help her get better quicker as they get depressed when split up :(

Even if it was pasteurella, I would keep them together - most bunnies carry pasteurella but it only flares up when they are stressed or feeling a bit less than perky for some reason, and it will stress them both being split.

It could also be the other things you mentioned, particularly suspicious about the dog crate damaging her eye and causing an infection - without a culture test of the pus you won't know for sure - I guess your vet is doing the sensible thing in treating the most likely cause then if that doesn't work investigating other possibilities - Ask him to do a culture test if the antibiotics don't kick in after another day.

Hope she gets better soon poor baby :)

Back