• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hiya!

Karly

Banned
I've been a bit of a lurker recently, and decided to sign up today!
I'm 17 and live in Surrey, with my two house bunnies and other assorted animals.
Both are little boys - Mary the Netherland Dwarf (no, I wasn't told he was a girl when I got him, it's a bit of a 'private joke' that stuck!), and Joey the Dwarf lop. Mary's all black, and around 2 (though his background is unknown so this is going on the assumption he was quite young when I got him), and Joey's an Opal, and around 4 - 4.5 months now.
Mary's going for the world's most expensive bunny record I think. Not long after I got him, he began having teeth problems (malloclusion). Soon we were going to the vet every 7-10 days to have them burred down, and after 7 days he'd be miserable, have a grotty looking coat, slow down on his eating, etc. so I decided it was best to have them out. I was warned that they could grow back - and one did - but wasn't told that it could possible lead to molar problems, or that incisor malloclussion could also mean there was molar spurs/problems too. So a few months down the line, when he went off his food and definately wasn't himself, I was rather worried and rushed him to the vet to find he had a rather nasty spur that had caused an ulcer on his tongue.
He now has to go in every few months to be checked over, and have the spurs sorted if they've returned, but he's certainly worth every penny, he's so lovely!
Joey was a bit troublesome too, coming to me with recurring diarreah that neither me nor the vets could find a cause for. I spent days syringe feeding him, as he was off his food and I didn't want his gut to shut down, put probiotics in his water and offered him lots of timothy hay, and slowly he was on the mend. He did have a little lapse of diarreah, but I think it was the Readigrass I gave him, as once I took that away the diarreah stopped.
He's now a happy healthy bunny!
Both live in my bedroom, in 48" dog crates, though I have recently started introducing them (but I'm going to post a thread on this anyway). Hopefully they'll take to each other, but if not then I'm hoping to rescue them a girlfriend each (and don't worry, all parties will be neutered/spayed - Mary's neutered already, and Joey's due to go in as soon as he's at the age my vet will do it)

I'm rather new to the whole rabbit thing, but I've been bitten by the bug now and have definately been considering more when I have a few less other animals! From the looks of the signatures on here, they're certainly addictive!

Hi and welcome! Your buns sound just lovely! I love the sound of Mary! what a cutie he must be XX

Hiya! Lovely to hear about your bunnies. They look and sound adorable and are obviously very spoilt! I have a little nethie too, who is a rescue, and he's had his tushpegs removed too. Fortunately no problems with molars so far.
Welcome to the forum!

Hiya there Karly, a huge WELCOME to Rabbits United from one lurker to another :shock: :!: :lol: :lol:

Best wishes
Adele

hello and welcome :wave:
ur bunnies luk so cute 2gether luv joey the lop ive got a thing about lops even tho i dont own 1 i hav 2 lionheads lol i really want 1 tho i mite check the local animal sanctuary c if they hav any 4 adoption always better 2 rescue lol

Back