• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wheelchair/cart

Woolly and his cart

Hi we are Woolly parents. Woolly suffered some form of either spinal or brain damage (possibly E Cuniculi). We went to Doggon Wheels as he lost much of the use in his right rear leg. Since he has had his cart there's been no stopping him. His brother Thumper has turned him over a few times - I dont think he takes to kindly to having his paws run over.

Carol at Doggon is very helpful. If I remember rightly there you can get 75% back after 30 days if your bun doesnt take to the cart.

Right now Woolly is out on the lawn with Thumper and Buster one of our 2 Maine Coons. It off to bed soon so he is just get his last few mouthfuls of grass before his tea.

Good luck we hope everything turns out well

Thats so great! Giving a rabbit sort of a second chance on life with the carts and wheelchairs!
I live in the U.S and have seen some advertised in magazines, but have never seen an actual rabbit with one. Let us know what you decide to do!

Wow, here I've scarcely seen them for dogs and they've sized them to rabbits, you'd think that would be akward as they hop, but if they lost use of both legs then...well. That's great though, My cousin has a job at an animal rehibilation center and my Aunt was reccomending it as a profession for me...whole deal with the swimming and the cart excercises. Ect.

Re: Woolly and his cart

Paul&Carla said:
Hi we are Woolly parents. Woolly suffered some form of either spinal or brain damage (possibly E Cuniculi). We went to Doggon Wheels as he lost much of the use in his right rear leg. Since he has had his cart there's been no stopping him. His brother Thumper has turned him over a few times - I dont think he takes to kindly to having his paws run over.

Carol at Doggon is very helpful. If I remember rightly there you can get 75% back after 30 days if your bun doesnt take to the cart.

Right now Woolly is out on the lawn with Thumper and Buster one of our 2 Maine Coons. It off to bed soon so he is just get his last few mouthfuls of grass before his tea.

Good luck we hope everything turns out well

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is wonderful to meet such a special little bunny (and his parents of course)!

Can I be cheeky and ask if you have any photos of Woolly and Thumper you could post?

We do love photos :oops: ;).

Caz

Folks
Thanks for the welcome. In response to Charliesangel it was exactly that reason we went for the cart. Woolly was so bright in himself we had to find away of letting him get mobile again - he would drag himself with gust, but we were concerned that he would end up bald and sore.

It was really remarkable to see had he qucikly adjusted. Within a few weeks he could judge gaps and learnt to reverse! When he first come home with it scared the living daylights out of Thumper. It smelt like Woolly, but he looked very different :lol:

We have been through some pretty tough times with Woolly. He lost 800grams in weight (he has recovered it now - he is back to 2.4kg)! Along with the smiles there have been many tears. He was having quite a few fits which seem to be the result of an ear infection. Two weeks ago he had antibotic sponges placed in each ear and touch wood no more fits!! :lol:

I'll try and upload some of the photos we have of him. To date he has appeared in the Daily Mail, been on Richard & Judy (ashamed about that as they were total p***s, Pick Me Up magazine, Nuts (I did authorise this and it really p****d me off), an Australian magazine and the Malaysian Mail. So he is a bit of star! (well he & Thimper were to us anyway)! The point was to give folk a chance to see that there were other options then putting their buns to sleep.

This link should take you to the pics of the boys that were taken for the Daily Mail (I havent got my own website which seems the method of presenting images on this forum)
http://www.worldwidefeatures.com/feature_info.php?feature_id=69

Aww, I love his ears in this one -

291107296grs_wheeliebun_27.jpg

He looks like a wee honey!

He looks like he's hiking the great wall of China in this one :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at the determination in his face!
191107196grs_wheeliebun_22.jpg

He's lovely!!!

OMG, what an amazing lil bun! Those pictures are fab, he looks like he is a beautiful bunny! What a great tale! :D He is for sure one very special bunny!!!! More pics please!!!!!! :lol:

Wonder Bunny

Bunny Lovers everywhere

I think what Woolly showed was that his desire for life was stronger than we could have \ would have decided for him! Never give up on your bun unless they really are suffering (pretty hard to tell sometimes). We could tell from looking in his eyes that he was not going to give up - so we couldn't either.

Everyday he requires a bath (sometimes twice) as he is incontinent, but that is nothing in terms of seeing him chase Thumper (and mount him in his cart :lol: )

We have just heard that his latest blood test shows EC high against his previous blood test. We are off to Andover tomorrow to have his sponges removed. The vet says it good news that he has not had any fits since his last visit. We are still not sure of the root cause of his problem, whether its EC or a spinal injury (on his x rays it shows a vertbae injury and artheritis of the spine :( )

But his cart him allows to get around most of his favourite haunts in the garden (as well as the the little trip around the house :lol: He oftens follows Thumper into the house to see whats going on!)

Will keep you posted.

Re: Wonder Bunny

Paul&Carla said:
We are off to Andover tomorrow to have his sponges removed.

Do you go to Strathmore vet clinic?

That is where I take mine although it is a 45min drive for me.

Caz

Back