• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help male got in with female

deb

Young Bun
My male dwarf netherland got in with my 4 1/2 month old female lion head this morn, i only turned my back for a sec and he had jumped down nearly 3 feet,so i'm amazed he didn't brake his neck, before i could get to him he was already doing the dead with the lionhead. At her age can she get pregnant, and if so would she be to young to care for her babies. Also if she did have babies which is likely to be the strongest gene, would i get dwarfs with a mane or just dwarfs :oops:
Debs

Talk to your vet and see if they think she's old enough to be neutered. If so get her done now. Pregnancy at such a young age (she hasn't even finished growing herself) wouldn't be good for her.

Tam

bunnie got over.

Hi deb..Oh dear your girl is certainly old enough to mate & she probably has so unless you want & can care for more bunns then speak to your vet & see if she can be spayed also see about getting your boy neutered & that will stop his antics too!!!

i agree, i definitely think you should think about getting them both done, especially the girl if she is old enough.
will you then pair the 2 up?

sophie

It would be very unlucky if ur female was pregnant at that age, there not usualy capable till about 5 to 6 mths as arule. fingers crossed.Shes too young to be done. val

Hmm, I think dutchies can get pregnant really young (12 weeks-ish), not sure about other small breeds though.

I agree that you should take her to the vets and see what he/she thinks.

I have taken in a lionhead that was pregnant at 4 months, so she could be pregnant.
You really do need to get your male rabbit neutered now. With any luck you've escaped this time but you may not be so lucky next time.
It is not good for her health to breed (we take in many that have pregnancy complications)and there are far too many rabbits in rescue because of lack of good homes.
Even if you did manage to home any babies easily, they would be taking homes that rescue rabbits desperately need.

smaller breeds can breed earlier than the bigger breeds i think :roll: or is it the other way round?

Females become sexually mature between 14 and 16 weeks so it is quite possible he has done the deed. At 4 1/2 months old she is not too young to be spayed and given the circumstances I would agree with getting her spayed straight away. I have even had one spayed at 13 1/2 weeks before as she had been left in with her brothers. My vet will spay females as soon as they reach 1kg in weight. It is better if they are done younger as when they are older they develop a layer of fat around their uterus so there is more to cut through.

Cheryl

Back