• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue caging dilemma what do you all think?

hiya all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma, at present I am fighting with the council to stay open so all plans are on hold as the rescue may be closed but if all goes well which I hope it will I am pondering on re desinging the cages for rescue buns. But by doing this it will reduce the already small number of rabbits I take but on the other hand I find it hard to rehome rabbits so they can be with me for long periods anything up to 6-12 months, so I would like to make their stay as confortable as possilbe.

Before making any decision let me tell you the facts:

1st, there are not many places locally that take rabbits, I never set out to take in rabbits but they just started arrving really. Many came in with their hutches as I didn't have any although I have bought 3 or my 4 runs. There is a real shortage of bunnie placements around here and the changes would decrease my space by nearly 50%.

2nd, At present I can take a max of 18 bunnies & piggies with the changes I could take a group of piggies and 5 pairs of rabbits.

3rd, I am not happy with the arrangements for the rabbits although in 80% of cases the rabbits have more exercise and space with me than they did I just feel that with the lenght of time they stay it is too small and cramped as I do us the horrid 4ft hutches although I only have 6 I don't like it.

4th I only have a very small garden which is also home to a 10'x6' shed for rats hammies etc and two enclsoures for my rabbits and one for my ferrets. So I can't make big pens or add bigger hutches etc.

At present I have:

2x 4'x2' hutches
9x 4x15" hutches (three used for emergences)
1x 3' double decker hutch
1x 4' double decker hutch
1x 4.5'x2' double decker hutch (home built thing)
1x 8'x2.5' hutch
2x 36"x70" runs
1x 5'x3' run
1x 4'x4' run (mostly used for guniea pigs)

The set up at present means I can get all rabbits out for about 3-4 hours per day but not if it raining or dark nights.

I have two plans; plan one which will be done no matter what I guess and will reduce places by 3, I will be joining the 4ft hutches to make either 2x double decker hutches and one 8ft long hutch or 3x 8ft long hutches, which of those options would be best?
Or hang on I could make two triple decker hutches oh no more choices argg :shock: but this would mean reducing places by 4
The other plan would be:

Add a 4ft hutch on top of the 4ft run and have ramp down to run this could house guineas

Add 70" hutches to the 2 70" runs do this by cuttin up the 4ft huthes and joining them

add the 3ft double decker hutch to the end of the 5ft run and build a run coming off the 4ft double decker hutch.

HELP!! I can decide as on the one hand I would like to take more rabbits as they need my help but on the other hand I would rather give them more space.

Please all let me know what you would decide

I would be tempted to go for 3 8 foot hutches rather than double storey ones as space is lost where the stairs are.

Adding a hutch to the run sounds a great idea as well so that you could actually possibly house a larger group of piggies in the cage if you have a permanent run attatched which would help compensate reducing the other hutch numbers.

Janice

If your pens are high enough edding a shelf adds more floor room. A step rather than ramp can take up less room to for going from level to level.

I wonder if you wouldn't have more room building pens (or having a divided shed) with a sleeping boxes in rather than trying to alter hutches.

Abit like Bernard, Panzy & Binky's pre-bonding accomodation: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5091

or the setup Sue has at Bracknell Rescue: http://www.bracknellrabbitrescue.50megs.com/photo4.html

Tam

I can't add any more shed or the council will string me up as well as the neighbours all I can do is add hutches to the runs which will still look a bit funny as they are in the middle of the garden. I can't for this reason add anymore height either oh I just can't decide. I am sure changing it so they have more space would be best as it would be better for the buns and would leave me with less to clean and of course with less buns cost less for their up keep but at the same time I would reduce the numbers I could take in and that is the problem. Are the above reasons good enough for taking less if you understand

That would make life for you easier, perhaps some other rescues within travelling distance could help you out every now and again with taking excess buns from you.

ARC reguarly help out some of the other 'local' rescues in the area by taking guinea pigs and rabbits from them. Perhaps something similiar could be done to help you out.

Janice

Hmm, :roll:

I have been out side and the only other solution which in a way would be fab as it would de-clutter the garden of runs etc but would need to discuss it with everyone would be to build 4x 3'x7' and one 4'x7' pens down the side with the same idea Sue has at Bracknell Rescue. I would still keep the 2 4'x2' hutches for emergences, but would still limit intakes but I think that would be the best thing all round as it would enhance the look of the garden as the lawn would be clear and there wouldn't be huthes everywhere and the rabbits would have lots of space. The only thing that would concern me is how would the rabbits be warm in the winter? as sue has no hutches inside I guess I could build hutches off the ground so the would have some where warm and still lots of space.

I think in a way I would prefer to reduce the numbers and give them more space as they are so hard to rehome it would be much better for them.

I think I will have to chat to the council and the neighbours about it and see what we can come up with

oh yeah! how high would the sides have to be to stop them from jumping over? I have never had open top runs before so have no idea of hight

If you are planning to use these pens 24 hours a day, you may need to look at totally enclosing them to ensure that adequate fox proofing of them occurs. It does sound a lovely idea.

Janice

I would be tempted to put a top on just incase there are foxes/crows/cats around.

The pens you could fit in sound a nice size. For shelter something like a mini hutch would be a good. A hutch thats just the sleep compartment so a, for example, 2'x2' box. Abit like the ones here: http://www.happyhutch.com/ListProducts.aspx?categoryID=2 though I imagine you could make them cheaper yourself or recyle the hutches to make them.

In an emergency you could also stick a divider in the pens and still have a space 3'x3' which though not giant would do at a pinch especially for piggies.

Tam

we don't have any foxes etc and I am worried covers would impose on the neighbours but I did think I could have netting covers over the top which I can put over at night some how, my B/F is good at building stuff so should be easy to do for him.

As much as don't want to reduce the numbers I do think it is the best thing to do, it is far too much in a small space and I never wanted to rescue rabbits in the first place not that I would stop but I love my rats and since the arrival of a garden full of rabbits I have hardly any time to spend with my rats. I think it is the best thing, but why do I feel so bad :?:

Don't feel guilty about cutting down, like you say you are really a rat rescue.
We have stopped taking in many rats because we never seemed to be able to find homes for them - but don't have trouble finding rabbit homes! It was difficult to do at first - you'd give other rescues numbers but still worry.
I've learnt now that we can't save everything and hard as that is, it is something I have to accept.
Maybe we could start a reliable transport run from you to us with rabbits and back to you with rats!

Devon does seem to be full of buns looking for homes and not many interested in adopting. I think I spoke with a couple of other rescues near you that had 70-80 buns each as well.

There are often people willing to transport so maybe moving them across country is a good solution :)

Btw, it might be small but your garden looks very swish with the different setups and all colour coordinated :D

Tam

Maybe we could start a reliable transport run from you to us with rabbits and back to you with rats!

May be we should :lol: I think as I have been in rats for the past 10 years I have many contacts etc and home them much much easier than rabbits even ones with behavioural problems and health problems. I can't home a happy, healthy bunnie here let alone one with problems.

Don't feel guilty about cutting down, like you say you are really a rat rescue.
We have stopped taking in many rats because we never seemed to be able to find homes for them - but don't have trouble finding rabbit homes!

I know it is the right thing to do as I never set out to rescue rabbits, they crept in slowly well quickly really but at that time I thought I could find homes for them which I just can't and as they are staying here for a long time I just think it would be better to have less rabbits that are happy than more rabbits that are just alive. I have always said that to take in every animal that gets reffered to me is wrong as you don't have the time, space and money to care for them and that is now what I have found with the rabbits as I don't think they have the space they need and if I was re-homing them with in 1-2 months then I think it would be ok but living in a 4ft hutch with limited access to a run for 6 months or more is not. I know they are a lot better off than many rabbits in the UK but I am not personnally subjecting those rabbits to those conditions!

Thanks guys you have all really helped me :D

rehoming

I live in Exmouth and have 2 rabbits myself, i have plenty of room but no spare hutchs, but if you are really stuck and need any help please give me a e mail, and i'm sure i could come up with somethink.
Deb :thumb:

I will let you know if all goes to plan all my hutches will go as all I will have is the 5 pens so I will be selling all the hutches and runs, so if you wanted some more bunnies then they could go with hutch and Run

Back