• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby bunny

Our lovely Moo died in his sleep last week as he stopped eating - poor little mite. This was however the best thing that could have happened as he had so many things wrong with him and was in obvious pain so we didnt want him to have to endure it any longer. There will never be a bun the same but we miss looking after one so much that we thought we would like to give a home to another rabbit.

My fiance has decided he wants a new bun but from a young age as he got so upset at Moo being so ill all the time.

He has chosen a baby mini lop which we are picking up this week when it has grown a bit more and put on some more weight. However, I need some help as have always had older rescue rabbits and never a baby bun. I know the basics such as dont give it greens and grass etc but do not know when I can get him vacinated and how long I have to keep him off the grass etc.
Any info from anyone before we pick him up would be appreciated!

baby buns can be vaccinated for myxi from 8 weeks and for VHD they can have a half dose at 6 weeks and then another half dose at 10 weeks or a full dose at 12weeks! As for greens and veggies baby's can have these from being 3 weeks old as long as you introduce them slowley and if you notice any sticky poo or bloating take them off them. XX

The best thing is to find out what diet he's on now and make sure to start with you copy it.

Although younger rabbits can have small amounts of greens if he hasn't had them before it's probably best not to introduce them at the same time as the stress of changing homes. Give him a chance to settle in first.

As will any bunnies find out what brand of food he's on now and have some to hand as well as lots of hay.

Make sure you give unlimited pellets for the first couple of months as he will be growing at a rapid rate. Alfalfa is good for babies as very rich but it might give him sticky bottom if he's not used to it. Some of the mixes come with it mixed in, in which case you probably don't need to give extra. Do you know what food he's on?

There was a good article online I will try and find it...

Back