• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home funny ideas

cazza269

Mama Doe
just been in there today, all rabbits well fed clean water etc but for some weird reason their floor space has been halved! :roll: god knows why, they have also made the sides higher but this is maybe to stop people reaching in or even stealing!

one big plus though they had frozen bottles in with all the animals as it was mega hot today!

Cazza, I rescued six buns of someone who worked for a Pets at Home, he thought he would have a go at breeding. What looks good on the outside isn't always whats on the inside. The person I took thes buns off took me in the back of the shop(he wanted to show me one of the babies his bun had, had) I am not lying when I say there were cages upon cages with baby buns in I am talking 4 or 5 in a cage (some didn't even look old enough to be away from their mum) no food, no hay just water. I was disgusted and told him so.

omg thats hurendous i was thinkin bout ringing up and askin 4 a weekend job ther now ive finished skool but after all the complaints ive ssen about the place i think i'll pass. and it says on the website that ther so good wiv hygene n luk after ther animals well.

Once my Husband and I decided to get a bun we went to a pets at home - The so called 'expert didn't have a clue how old they were, what breed they were and one of the bunnies had a very dirty rear end and looked a bit lethargic.

When I pointed this out to the "expert" he said that it was ok coz that bun was not very socialable and rabbits in general are not the cleanest animals.

I was so disgusted with them - I wanted to stage a massive bunny break out and take them all home with me. In thend we decided the best thing to do was to complain and then get our buns from a rescue centre.

Our local Pets at Home is pretty good, the manager (who is brilliant) seems to know everything there is to know about all the animals there, and he actively discourages breeding from any of them. The only let down is that some of the lowlier members of staff don't seem to care about the animals that much, and they also don't have very good retail sense (one of them failed to tell me at the checkout about a special offer I was eligible for, and I had to go back another time and get the money I was owed). Still, the manager is great (and that's the important thing). When I was there last, one of the bunnies had bloat and they were preparing to take it to the vets (or for the vet to see it, I can't remember). So it was great to know they were getting the proper vet treatment.

Still, I feel they have a lot of areas to improve on, and obviously mine is one of the better stores. :roll:

AMETHYST

I overhead a PAH staff member really grilling a potential customer - actually think they talked tham out of buying the bunny - they were really getting the full works like where will they live, that they weren't really suitable for young kids, that they can actually cost quite a bit and that they need a lot of TLC and attention.

I was really impressed, as the customer in question was just responding to her children giving the 'I want one' on impulse it seemed.

Martin

my sister bought a hamster from there today and the woman was saying are you sure u want one there quite fast as she got a dwarf hamster but of the two rabbits that wer there they looked really skinny but it may just of been me as im used to seeing my plump bunnies lol

ryanh72 said:
but of the two rabbits that wer there they looked really skinny but it may just of been me as im used to seeing my plump bunnies lol

Yeah, don't forget that younger bunnies do look thinner than adults! I forgot that and when I got China I was so surprised as to how thin she looked compared to Miles and Miffy!

AMETHYST

Animal Rescue and Care have just taken a female rabbit in from a lady who was told that it was best to buy a rabbit to live with a piggie by this store, after a few months the rabbit has started pestering the piggie and she was worried about the guinea pig. She has now handed over the rabbit to us and adopted a girlie piggie to live with her piggie. This is about the tenth situation like this we have been asked to help out with this year.

Janice

They have got the rabbits in wiv the guinea pigs i dont know how you can keep both these animals together when both have different nutritoinal needs and some rabbits are far to big to be housed with guinea pigs.

I was reading a post on another forum that a woman had noticed that ther was something wrong with hers so she took it to the vet and it had broke its foot she thinks that the rabbit may have done this by accident or maybe one of the children dropped it.

Now she has moved in indoors in a cage away from the rabbits as someone advised her to do so.

Ryan

That is exactly why the rescue I am involved with will not rehome guinea pigs to people who are planning to keep them with rabbits. So far this year ARC have taken in 3 guinea pigs with broken legs who were living with rabbits and have been contacted by a further 6 who feel that one of their pig has been 'killed' by a rabbit asking for advice.

Janice

thats awfull poor guinea pigs.
ive never had one but when i was in primary me and a friend had the responsability to clean out and feed the guinea pigs evryday they wer both long haired aswell are uniforms used to be full of fur when we had finished lol

the thing that makes me laugh is that in the reading pets at home there are two parts to the pen (once in one you cant get to the other) so why dont they put guinea pigs one side and buns the other?

probs because the buns are too old to be kept together even though they say that ther still only babies . its like that at the 1 i went to but all four of the bunnies wer in different pens.

Back