• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny in an apartment

hi :) i live in a large apartment. i have kept rabbits before out side though, but here i do not have a garden :( and i no people do keep bunnys in the house but having never kept them this way before i am looking for advise, so if any of you could give me some of your experiances that would be great :)

what kind of experiences are you looking for... ie toys, bunny proofing, feeding.. :?: :lol:

I have a house bun who has the run of the living room, hall, kitchen, stairs and landing when I am home! She lives in a large dog crate when I am out!! :D

My two bunnies live in a 48" dog crate and come out for free run of my lounge and spare room when i am here. I have cable tidys to hide most wires and have blocked areas off that i dont want them to access. You do have to be careful they dont eat curtains, carpet, wallpaper, doors, skirting boards etc tho cos they dont just stop at wires!! If you are going to be renting make sure u get the 'ok' from your landlord/lady. Mine is really cool and said it was fine for me to have rabbits in my flat.

you have to be very careful for wires and things, i have been through so many phone chargers because my 2 think it is funny to chew them!
i now keep all wires out of the way so that they cant get to them.

try this website it is very good for info on house bunnies!
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/

sophie

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the house bunny thing and did face a few challenges with mine but not too many. To hide the cables in reach of the bunny I put some clear plastic tubing around them which I "borrowed" from work, she never really bothered with them which was great. The main prob I faced was the digging behind the sofa, no where else so we got a large piece of spare carpet and rolled it round and then put it behind, creating a kind of carpet tunnel that she could dig in till her heart content. The litter traing is a doddle usually!!!!

Hope this has helped.

with the whole wire thing you could just get a rescue bunny that has had to have there teeth removed! :D! we have a boy called olly who soon wont have any front teeth so will make an ideal house bun!

sophie

thank you all for your replys :D yes i was thinking on the lines of a rescue bunny, i will have to see what we have around our area, thanks again for your good info :)

We have 2 rabbits in a flat and no garden at the moment. They are litter trained. The main problems I've had are:

*Chewing stuff (esp cables - you need to tidy all cables away or face the damage!)
*Digging the carpet, normally to try and get underneath or behind something, including closed doors (namely, the bedroom which is out of bounds)
*Chewing and digging the curtains (which I have had to cut off at the bottom)
*Climbing on things

The last one I feel is the most unsafe for them, because I’m worried about them falling off something and hurting themselves. But to be honest the novelty does wear off eventually.

So far, mine have done far less damage than a cat (I believe - not entirely sure b/f agrees!) and they also tend to keep themselves to themselves unless they want attention. You could keep your bunny in a dog crate while you are not home, but I think this also depends on the size of your rabbit/s. I got Sylvia specifically because I wanted a house rabbit that I would not have to cage – she’s more like having a dog than a rabbit.

I think rabbits are truly delightful creatures to have about the house and very sweet... also a great talking point with guests who are always amazed! They tend to be quite inactive during the day so I can generally trust them to behave around the place. At night we have to shut them out of the lounge otherwise they go on the rampage. It is very rewarding having them indoors with us, and they get more attention this way too.

A very useful book is "Living with a House Rabbit" by Lynda Dykes and Helen Flack. It tells you everything incl bunny proofing etc. You can get it on amazon. Good luck, b-m
:wink:

Back