• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

whats wrong with green food!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
as everyone might know hagrid my giant is a tempermental sod, and everytime he goes on the grass gets a dirty bum, well i tried him with greems last night just a wee bit and the same a again its not diahoria (sp? sorry!) as such just a little mucky bum. but he is ok with sweet corn and everything thats not green apart for small brocoli florets, what is it with green food?

i dreed to think bonding with hermonie because he can go on the gras and eat what she likes but he cant, think that one will be a problem!

eve x

Claude loves to go on the grass but he gorges his self and ends up with bloat,so he hasnt been on grass for more than a year now,he can eat any greens its just grass which does it,just suppose all rabbits are different!

Hiya Eve -

Theres so many differing views on diet that it can be difficult to know exactly which one is right :?

My lot (like most bunsters) love to be outside in this lovely weather but I tend to restrict their time out to around 20 mins per time and then they are usually out weekends and a couple of days during the week not every day - this is more due to my work routine than anything else.

On advise from my Vet and good folks on this forum I tend to steer clear of any of the heavier greens such as cabbage, greens, kale etc and they have a small amount of fresh herbs such as rocket/corriander/fennel and touch wood :roll: I've never had any problems with uneaten soft poos, sticky or runny bums - sorry folks I know its lunchtime :shock: - the main basis of their diet is loads of hay, twice daily feed of desert spoon SS and evening veggie feed.

Hope this helps.

bunnytales said:
Hiya Eve -

Theres so many differing views on diet that it can be difficult to know exactly which one is right :?

My lot (like most bunsters) love to be outside in this lovely weather but I tend to restrict their time out to around 20 mins per time and then they are usually out weekends and a couple of days during the week not every day - this is more due to my work routine than anything else.

On advise from my Vet and good folks on this forum I tend to steer clear of any of the heavier greens such as cabbage, greens, kale etc and they have a small amount of fresh herbs such as rocket/corriander/fennel and touch wood :roll: I've never had any problems with uneaten soft poos, sticky or runny bums - sorry folks I know its lunchtime :shock: - the main basis of their diet is loads of hay, twice daily feed of desert spoon SS and evening veggie feed.

Hope this helps.

hi lany i have always feed my buns in the same way, even the new bunnies that have come my way, i get them on to ss and they have that in the morning and unlimited hay during the day and every evening have more hay and a boul of veg each, i have never had a problem with runny buns or anything, but hagrid is different and had chronic stasis as a baby, and unfortunately suffers from belly problems now due to what he eats i do try to keep him on basic food but and trying out to se what he can take and what he cant!

thanks eve x

Re: hi

elve said:
bunnies must not eat sweet corn!

who told you that!?????? my bunnies have always eaten baby corn and love it and have NEVER had a problem with it,

statements like that would be better with an explaination and proof!

Perhaps it may be best to wait til he is older Eve? He is still quite young and his digestive tract is still maturing, it may be that he just has a very sensitive tummy and you will always have to be careful with him. What is he like with herbs?

nicolar said:
Perhaps it may be best to wait til he is older Eve? He is still quite young and his digestive tract is still maturing, it may be that he just has a very sensitive tummy and you will always have to be careful with him. What is he like with herbs?

i just feel sorry for him whilst all the other bunnys are having fun on the grass and getting a boul of vegs he gets neither! herbs are the same!!!!!

Ah bless him :( Well I guess what he doesn't really know and love he won't miss! Give him delicious other treats that the others don't get :D

bunnylove said:
elve said:

who told you that!?????? my bunnies have always eaten baby corn and love it and have NEVER had a problem with it,

Sweetcorn is full of carbs. Like peas, it is not recommended to give to rabbits because it can cause sticky bottom and other intestinal problems. However, some sources (like the RWA) actually recommend it. Personally I avoid it, along with too many carrots.

For more info about sticky bottom and 'forbidded foods', see:

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5&SourceID=43

The greens thing is probably just too much high water content in one go. Broccoli gives mine sticky bottom. They are fine with spring greens though.

bunny-mad said:
bunnylove said:
elve said:

Sweetcorn is full of carbs. Like peas, it is not recommended to give to rabbits because it can cause sticky bottom and other intestinal problems. However, some sources (like the RWA) actually recommend it. Personally I avoid it, along with too many carrots.

For more info about sticky bottom and 'forbidded foods', see:

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5&SourceID=43

The greens thing is probably just too much high water content in one go. Broccoli gives mine sticky bottom. They are fine with spring greens though.

thanks for that but mine have never had a problem with snicky bun and have been enjoying them for years!
eve x

lol , oh deary me , cheekybun just loves his mushy peas , i didn,t realise that they were bad for him . on the other hand he is over 6 years old now and has loved them all his life . The vet thinks it is hilarious too and he has never had an probs .

bunnylove said:
thanks for that but mine have never had a problem with snicky bun and have been enjoying them for years!
eve x

That's ok, it's entirely up to you what you feed your rabbits. I tried to find the RWA page which lists sweetcorn but it won't come up at the mo - it is on their site though if you wanted to have a look.

I have read a lot of stuff about diet and most of the caveats seem to come from the the States. I was told by someone that celery is bad for buns but I have always fed mine celery and they love it. I think it's because of the water content but they are fine with it. b-m

bunny-mad said:
bunnylove said:
eve x

That's ok, it's entirely up to you what you feed your rabbits. I tried to find the RWA page which lists sweetcorn but it won't come up at the mo - it is on their site though if you wanted to have a look.

I have read a lot of stuff about diet and most of the caveats seem to come from the the States. I was told by someone that celery is bad for buns but I have always fed mine celery and they love it. I think it's because of the water content but they are fine with it. b-m

omg i feed that as well!!!!! what can they eat thats ok, they say carrots and kale and greens are treats, friut is a treat! to be nonest it drives me mad!!!!

bunnylove said:
omg i feed that as well!!!!! what can they eat thats ok, they say carrots and kale and greens are treats, friut is a treat! to be nonest it drives me mad!!!!

It's the same with humans, anything that is tasty is bad for us!! :lol:

My one have problem if he eats the grass (which really is weed ) outside.

Bu if he eats spinach, corn, carrot, and other fruits from supermarket, that's fine. I think the grass is too exotic for him.

Back