• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby bunnies

ryanh72

Mama Doe
Please can u help,

About 2 months ago my rabiit gave birth to 4 lil baby bunnies all seemed fine until wen my mum came home she found one dead which was half eaten as the mother had started 2 eat it also ther was 1 missin which we found dead under the hay. ther wer only 2 left at that stage but the mother wasnt feedin them we left her over nite wiv them and if they wer still unfed we wer going 2 remove them but in the morning both wer dead. does anybody kno y this happend i wud really like 2 kno if this was by accident as it was her first litter and she was inexperienced or shes just a bad mother.

i was thinking about breeding her again or is this a bad idea.

ok how old were they when she started 'eating them'??
for first time moms it is often they will scatter there litter cause they r unexperience but second time round r usually ok but this is usually not long after they give birth, some first time moms over groom kits and accedenly eat them.
now if they was about a week or 2 after birth them this sounds like she is eating her young. A breeder i know told me about a doe she had and that babies were going missing and found that her has eating them and of corse she didnt breed from it again
what breed of rabbits do u have?
beccky

ther both lionheads they wer newborns only 1 day old but the 2 that wer left died through the nite didnt luk as tho they had been fed they wer all ova the hutch aswell they had crawled out the nest had wer in the cold an d i can remember that it was really windy that day n quite cold

doe's only usually feed there young once or twice a day and only for a short time so u wouldnt really see them feeding there young

but they died the following day after they wer born so she must not hav fed them at all wot about her eatin them wen they wer at such a yung age cud ther hav been sumthin wrong wiv them or she didnt kno wot 2 do im confused by her actions

also if any1 can giv me any tips on successful breeding and sum do's and dont's that wud b greatly appriciated.

thanks,
ryan

sometime these things just happens it hard to tell what really went on with the dead ones some will just die for unknown resons it could be a genetic fault, do u know the background of the rabbits.
eating them she could of just been a bit confussed and unexperinced as its not uncommon for 1st time moms.
if u want to do breed propley then i would advice some quailty rabbits now im not saying that the ones u have r rubbish but it best to get them from a good breeder prefrably brc member and its best to know the background of the rabbis so u know there arnt any defults in the background, if the rabbits u have r then u should be ok i would give it one more go to see what happens but i would advice to do some more resreach 1st
becky

I think as Becky says before you even consider breeding again you need to do alot of research. It's important you know what could happen during pregnancy and after a bun gives birth. Problems can occure in the middle of the night or without much notice and thats not the time to be hunting around for answers to whats going on and how to treat it.

Again it's important you only breed for animals you know the full background off and have got from someone who can give you information on what to expect from that particular bun.

Have you thought about what you'd do with the babies. It's difficult to rehome them and there are members on the forum at the moment still trying to find homes for babies that are 3-4 months old and haven't found new owners.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

i did loads of research b4 i even put my 2 rabbits 2gether so i had an idea of wot they need but i saw nothin about them eatin ther young only afterwards wen it happend i saw sumthin sayin that they do if they inexperienced or they need nutrients that hav been lost.

not that i know anything about breeding rabbits, but i think it is probably best to go along with what the girls have said and not to breed from her again.

sophie

Back