• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets

sarsimp

Mama Doe
Do you feed pellets once or twice per day? I only give mine a certain amount but split it morn and eve. However, they like to browse at night dont they so maybe its best to give the pellets then?
What do you lot do? :?

Mine get their pellets in the evening only as, like you say, they seem to prefer them then.

Aspen'n'company said:
My buns get their pellets in the morning. They don't really eat to many though. they do eat most of their pellet in the evening though.
Yes thats what I am finding and then sometimes they upset the bowl and waste them! Thats really why I want to change the way I do it!

I feed mine in the eveing. The majority go in their treatball tho and they are still munching them well into the following day. They get enough hay each eveing to last until the next and also their veggies. When I say eveing I'm talking about midnight - they're really active then though where as they sleep mostly til midafternnon the next day.

Tam

does everyone think this sounds ok?

hay all day along with water of course!
morning- veg (maybe a bit of lettuce and a carrot)
evening-pellets then i take away the lettuce and carrot!
when should i taake away pellets? maybe bfore i go to bed?
amyx

hi

Oh I never even thought about this one and I thought I'd worried about everything before I got my boys :?
I give mine 3 quarters of their pellets at 8am, plus a handful of fresh hay; a dish of dried grass or big handful of fresh grass at 10am; lots more hay at 10.30am when I let them out for a run and clean the shed, a plate of veg at 6pm with most of the rest of their daily hay (they won't eat it once they've stood in it :roll: ) at 6.30 after they've had a run - and finally a handful of dried grass and the remaining quarter of their pellets at 10pm, with a final handful of hay...Didn't think of feeding them mainly at night...

I let them out at 3pm today for the first time, because I felt sorry for them being shut up from 11am till 6.30pm - they came out, looked at me, went back in and dozed off, before deciding a half hour grooming session was in order! I think I woke them up...

I believe they produce their caecal pellets to eat about 4 hours after a 'meal' which means that mine will presumably do them at noon/early afternoon and again in the early hours of the morning? Maybe they were still digesting their breakfast at 3pm - I'll leave them in peace in future!

Mine get about half of the recommended daily amount of pellets - and at the moment they're on half supa rabbit and half SS. (I am swapping them over to SS but v slowly beings as I've got two 12kg sacks of suparabbit to get through! and Charlies bottom has already got better so I may keep them on half and half).

Anyhow, they get half their daily pellets in the morning (whenever we get up) and he others at 7:30. The morning ones tend to be gobbled in about half an hour, and the evening ones can last for several hours (I htink this is cos they're out running around whereas in the morning they're shut in their cage).

They have timothy grass and timothy hay all the time, I try to make them eat as much as possible for their teeth which is why they only have a few pellets. Then veg by hand when they're running around in the evening.

I don't thnk it matters when you feed them, as long as you stick to a pattern - when our pattern gets changed Charlie gets a poorly bum!

"Mine get about half of the recommended daily amount of pellets - and at the moment they're on half supa rabbit and half SS. (I am swapping them over to SS but v slowly beings as I've got two 12kg sacks of suparabbit to get through! and Charlies bottom has already got better so I may keep them on half and half)."

My hubby took the rest off mine when I was changing them over to use in his groundbait for fishing! :roll:

Thanks for the advice - when we go away I want to make it simple for our bunsitters so I think I'll stick to my routine cut cut out the pellets in the morning.

Mine get fed their pellets and veggies in the evening about 10pm. Lots of hay during day. Was talking to vet about this, she said it's best to feed pellets once a day as then they will eat their hay the rest of the day which is better for their teeth. I did this anyway so didn't need to change my routine.

Whiterabbit - bunnies shouldn't have lettuce cos it gives them diarrhea, greens are fine as is curly kale etc but any new veg should be introduced slowly and never give huge amounts.

Nicola

My buns have some of their allowed portions of pellets and a plate full of veg at about 7am they have hay availble 24 hours a day and do eat lots of it! At 6pm they have more veg, herbs, dandelions maybe a bit of fruit and grass. Then at about 11 pm when go and lock them in for the night I will give them the remainder of their allowed pellets as its a good way of getting them to come in the shed :wink:

My buns seem to be thriving on this routine, so it works for me :D

That's exactly it isn't it? It depends on your routine. Squidgy is different to the outside bunnies because of his no teeth and funny tummy problem.
As long as they're getting everything they need, ir doesn't matter when they get it. i do have a problem getting squidgy to eat hay though.....

Yep, as long as your buns have a routine they like it doesn't matter to much exactly what it is.

If there is pellets left over the next day that need removing thats an indication your feeding to much though :) Also becareful splitting into two feeds you don't end up topping the bowl up more than you would with one - those poor starving bunnies facing they're giving you shouldn't be believed!!!

Tam

Tamsin said:
Also becareful splitting into two feeds you don't end up topping the bowl up more than you would with one - those poor starving bunnies facing they're giving you shouldn't be believed!!!

Tam

Oh yes we have all seen those faces Im sure :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back