• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

check up needed before nueter?

cazza269

Mama Doe
this is maybe a really silly question but, will the vet insist on a check over visit for cobey before I book him to be nuetered, and if so is it needed, I know he had a vet visit just days before I got him as he had a jag.

According to my vet, yes they do need a check over before a neuter as they need to check the heart etc and general health. It is to make sure they are healthy enough to go through the anaestetic (sp?)

It will also be that your vet will want to satisfy himself (assuming your vet is different to the vet that checked him before?)

I will be booking Petey in for his neuter this week.

yes it is a different vet, I have nearly got all the money needed for the nueter but I think a check up is roughly £10 so I wanted to check to try and sort all the money up front!

Cobey was circling me and grunting the other night so I think its time he was snipped!! lol

Our vets include the pre op check in the neuter price so maybe this is worth checking with your vet.

We are getting Petey done as he keeps escaping his pen to try and get to the un neutered females :no: who are still too young for spaying.

Im sure you would want the extra check to safeguard Cobeys health for the op.

Cobey is a year old almost, and considering his age doesnt show any major signs of usual tennage stuff, apart from the circling and grunting....very weird to watch, lol

yes I will ask and see what they say at the vets, they seem a nice practice so I know I will be able to be a pain and questionask all the time, lol!!! ;)

I will have the check, as I say its just so I can get the money put to one side and not spent, lol!!

Well good luck to you and Cobey.

Ive been threatening Petey with the op for ages, especially when hes naughty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let us know how he gets on.

ditto :lol: :lol:

have to admit to being very anxious about it, I need to go and ask about it on Monday

keep me up to date on things with your bunny!

Cazza whenI took my three boys for the op, only one had been seen before and that was Bernard as he had teeth problems. I just booked Panzy and Binky in for their ops. On the morning of their op I dropped them off at 8 and the vet checked them over their and then. They asked me a few questions, like are they eating ok, passing urine and poops, do they seem well in themselves, I have noticed anything out of the ordinary. The vet then checked all three over.

The ops went well and all three made good recoveries :D Just Panzy was a little slow to eat and have a wee, but we got there, it is a worrying time for us bunny mums but in my case so worth it to have all three of them loved up :D :D :D

Good luck with Cobey Im sure he will be fine :D

First time Simba visited the vets was to be neutered! he didnt have a checkup before hand.. i was told as long as he is healthy and eats/drinks etc ok then no probs. Was the same for Nala altho id taken her for a check over when i first got her to make sure she was in good health but she wasnt spayed for over a month later. Some vets i phoned up before said they needed to have a checkup, others didnt so i guess its different everywhere.

Back