• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit mites species specific?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
as some of you know, my new baby bun has mites. what im wondering is, are bunny mites species specific? or is there a chance my other animals could catch them too?

so far ive been extremely careful in that i have been changing my top to cuddle him, washing hands after stroking him etc. but i have also not been able to let him run around properly yet for fear of my other animals cathing them :? he has been having a little hop around the room he is being kept in(hes out right now!) but the piggies are in the same room so it has been restricted :? please someone say that my other pets(piggies, rats and hamster) have no chance of catching them, so that he can run about freely! :)

It would depend on what mite he has, if it is cheyliettiella mites then other animals can catch them and so can humans, on humans they cause a red skin rash.

hhm, forgot which type of mite the vet said he had :x neither me or my partner have deleoped a skin rash though, so wonder if it isnt that one? or is it that some people just arent affected? darn, looks like i will have to wait until monday and ring the vet to see what he has :x

Ryo_the_rat said:
hhm, forgot which type of mite the vet said he had :x neither me or my partner have deleoped a skin rash though, so wonder if it isnt that one? or is it that some people just arent affected? darn, looks like i will have to wait until monday and ring the vet to see what he has :x

tell us what the symptoms are, someone may be able to tell you which mite it is?

Not everybody comes up in the rash. When we have animals at work with it, I am never affected but 2 of the vets come upstraight away with a rash up their arms!

Lind80 said:
Not everybody comes up in the rash. When we have animals at work with it, I am never affected but 2 of the vets come upstraight away with a rash up their arms!

Last time Charlie had it I had a rash but not this time and I probably cuddle him more now that I did then, I think its quite random.

well, he was with another little boy in the shop and it was on him that i spotted them as he has white fur. they were quite small and definately moving. i havnt actually seen any on gabriel as he has black fur with a few white patches. he was quite itchy(before injection of panamec) and had what appeared to be dandruff. although from the sounds of one of the links i just read it wasnt the "walking dandruff". he does have a patch on his nose which is quite thick scaley skin, but the vet said that that is an unusual place for the mites to effect so wasnt sure if that was from mites or not. erm, think thats it! lol

another question-how can i treat the carpet etc to prevent anyone else from catching them? it is carpet that he has been running about on and i have just read the second link and it says to treat carpet but im not sure what with :?

after reading the second link i think it is more likely he has mange mites as the vet commented that his lips were quite dry, and i already knew his nose was. according to that link this is the first place it would effect. it says it can effect humans, cats and dogs, but doesnt mention other animals :?

i know with rats, mites cannot be seen by the naked eye, is this the same with rabbits? its just that if i could see them moving on his cagemate does that mean it isnt mites, but something else? can rabbits get lice?

sorry for so many questions! just worrying about gabriel and my other pets :oops: :?

ok, i have just read this site:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/skin.htm

and they called mange mites "Cheyletiella", whereas the last page called fur mites "Cheyletiella" slightly confused! :?

well according to the rabbit welfare page you cant see Cheyletiella mites, but can see fur mites. so from that id guess he has fur mites-does that sound right? its just that it doesnt have a whole lot of info on that page about them so it doesnt say if it infects other animals or not :? it also doesnt say if carpets etc will need treating.

has anyone had any experience with fur mites and give me some info on them?

OK, you've confused me too now! I thought cheyletiela were fur mites.

I think that I would basically assume they were contagious to other pets, to be on the safe side!

And treat the house. Charlie has had cheyletiella a few times and lice once. Cheyletiela (which are fur mites, but there are other types too) cause flakey skin - and you can just about see them sometimes, if you look really hard - you have to stare at a bit of dandruff for ages. The vet would probably have done a sample with a piece of tape or a skin scrape and looked at them under a microscope. They mosty infect the back of the neck and above the tail.

Lice are bigger, you can see them easily, and their eggs. Charlie had them once, all over his tail and in the fur on his bottom. He was very anaemic and rather poorly with it.

With what you said about your bun - the flakey skin points to skin mites but becasue you could see them on his cage mate and they were black I'm confused!

I'd treat the carpet anyhow. I use a spray called Crusade - its hard to find in the shops but your vets can probably order it - its one of the few that are safe for bunnies.

im utterly confused too :lol: :lol: :lol:

right, i shall definately ring the vets on monday to see which one she thought it was. but now im thinking more along the lines of lice because the "dandruff" he has do look like lice eggs(from experience with ratties) but then again, he does have dry lips and a dry patch on his nose.....i think i need to lie down! :shock: :lol:

crusade-is that the sort of disinfectant you use on their cages too? i have a cage disinfectant made by cascade which i use for all my cages, would that be ok to spray the carpet with you think?

Ryo_the_rat said:
crusade-is that the sort of disinfectant you use on their cages too? i have a cage disinfectant made by cascade which i use for all my cages, would that be ok to spray the carpet with you think?

Its a spray specifically for fleas/mites etc to treat cages/hutches/furniture etc. I couldn't find it in any shops or on the internet so got it from my vet.

[Goes to find bottle, and Googles the manufacturer....]

http://www.vetsonline.com/html/veterinary_news_article.asp?ID=686&DType=Veterinary...tut, says its on'y £4.99, dread to think how much my vet charged me. Plus I did it last Saturday and was fully intending to do it again this weekend being as the buns had their second jab yesterday. The bottle doens't say anything about how long it lasts, but that article says it lasts for 3 months! Nice one! Except I bought a second bottle of it yesterday. :shock: Typical!

think i shall have to get my vets to order me some of that in! so thats ok to spray on carpets then? i will have t check with vets that it is ok to use around guinea pigs :?

is that all it is called-just crusade?

Ryo_the_rat said:
is that all it is called-just crusade?

Yes, by Alstoe, go to that link I put in the previous post and it has a phone number, you might be able to get it direct - or give that to your vet to get it for you. I'd give the whole article to the vets, I tell my vet about anything new I find that works for bunnies.

Plus you could call them and check about your piggies?

right, will make a note of those now! thanks for that Bevbunny :)

i shall let you all know what the vet says when i ring up on monday :?

well i didnt get a chance to ring the vets today but shall definately ring them tommorrow.

what im now wondering is, is it possible for him to have two different types of mite at the same time?

i had a good look at him last night and found that he had quite a lot of dandruff in his fur and looking at his skin he has a lot of very dry patches.

on top of that, this evening when we were doing his meds, we felt a scab on his arm, when i looked it was a very thick sore dry patch :( so now i have discovered thick dry patches on his nose, lips, arm and last night i discovered that at the start of his ears(not the tip) he had an extremely dry quite large patch there too. im not sure if the dryness around his eyes is from mites too or if its from his conjuctivitus/pasturella.

poor little guy :( so is it possible for him to have both fur mites and mange mites? if so, then is two weeks apart from each injection correct? or should it be sooner?

sorry for more questions-im just such a big worry wort :?

Back