• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wilting bunny ear....

BevBunny

Mama Doe
One of Lavenders ears is doing something funny, the end has gone sort of floppy. She has always had one ear thats a proper lop ear and one thats a proper sticky up ear - which has always been v straight at the tip. But today I've noticed that the tip of the sticky up ear has gone floppy.....
Last week....
Bunnies_June05009.jpg

Today....
image_june05032.jpg

Sometimes its worse than others, everytime I tried to take a pic she got inquisitive and stuck her ear up but you can just see it in the pic. Theres nothing wrong with it, well not that I can see - my first thought was mites but she is being treated for them at the moment as Charlie has cheytiella. Steve thinks that she's going to become a lop, gradually - from the top of her ear downwards. :lol: :lol:

That other thread says it could be heat or that she doens't have enough head room in her cage. Her cage is fine (big dog crate) adn has loads of ear room, but one of us has been home all day yesterday and today so she's been out more than usual - she has taken to sitting under the rocking chair which is fairly low - maybe its that. :shock:

I was assuming it was the heat, they have a fan on 24 hrs a day at the moment, windows open when we can and the lounge is mostly quite cool but we went to the vets today - hour drive each way, maybe she got too warm then. I'll keep an eye on her.

Fiona - thanks for pointing out the other threat, I thought it had happened to other bunnies before but couldn't find the thread when I searched for it.

Joob-joobs said:
This happened recently to Bunnylove's hagrid. Here's a thread with some suggestions on what might be causing it. I've not heard whether they went back to normal. (did they Bunnylove?)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

yep i defintely think it is the heat as i said his cge is opened top so that ruled that one out, but because i live in london and the temp all ways seems to be hottest her i had to keep him in during the day last week and put a fan above there cage and hes ears did not bend at the tip for the first time! strange! :lol:

eve x

loopylop said:
She is a very cute bunny and her wonky ears make her even cuter!!!

Bless!!!! :love:

I agree entirely, and I love the way she seems to have control over the downy ear. When she is being naughty it sticks up a bit more, but as that one goes up the other one goes down - its although they're attached. :lol:

So, when she's being naughty she becomes the classic helicopter bunny...
image_june05006.jpg

bunnylove said:
yep i defintely think it is the heat as i said his cge is opened top so that ruled that one out, but because i live in london and the temp all ways seems to be hottest her i had to keep him in during the day last week and put a fan above there cage and hes ears did not bend at the tip for the first time! strange! :lol:

eve x

Thanks Eve, its good to know why its happening, I'm glad the weathers cooled down! I'll get her some ice blocks for the next hot spell as the fan obviously isn't enough for her. :shock:

Splodge's ears have been doing that too! I assumed he'd been asleep with his ears squashed at a funny angle!!! He likes to sleep in a small gap under the sofa!!! :lol:

Back