• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Here are some pics of my degus!

Purplebunny

Young Bun
Here are some pics of my degus.. I originally got 2 males in January 2004, but 2 weeks later one gave birth, I had actually been sold 2 females.. 4 babies were born, only 1 male and he has been neutered.
One of my little baby girls died at Christmas, they found a mass in her stomach and operated on her, she died in recovery.. So I now have 5..
Hope you like the pics..

DegupicsJune2005006.jpg

DegupicsJune2005002.jpg

DSCF1195400x300300x400.jpg

degus31422x317.jpg

cuteorwhat021422x317.jpg

They're lovely, and what a fab home they have. :D

I've never even heard of Degu, I saw your pics and couldn't decide what they were so had a look on the internet. Are they friendly?

BevBunny said:
They're lovely, and what a fab home they have. :D

I've never even heard of Degu, I saw your pics and couldn't decide what they were so had a look on the internet. Are they friendly?

Thanks!
Yes they are very friendly, but can give a nasty bite if they want to. They are about the same size as a rat and love to have sandbaths..

Phill said:
I thought they were a kinda cross between a rat and a chinchilla? am i sort of right??
i thought is was a cross between and chinchilla and a g pig?
any they they r really cute and look loads of fun
becky

AWW their lovely, I thought they looked like a cross between a gerbil/rat/chinchilla!! Love their posh set up where they live!! :D

I didn't know what a degus was! Wow extraordinary creatures!

The second to last picture .... all those tails :shock:

(i'm not very good with tails :) )

awww cute, they are a desert animal arent they? are they the criiters that you have to take care not to pull their tales as they come away as a escape thing :shock:

bet they are really interesting to watch!!

Thanks for all the comments.. They are the size of rats, and like chinchillas they have sandbaths to keep their coats in tip top condition.. They are very friendly and make cheeping sounds and always cuddle up together..

I have coveted these in pet shops as I've had gerbils and jirds....... are these handleable (if theres such a word)? My jirds (which look like big gerbils) were so tame, they loved being handled....

luvabun said:
I have coveted these in pet shops as I've had gerbils and jirds....... are these handleable (if theres such a word)? My jirds (which look like big gerbils) were so tame, they loved being handled....

Yes they are and very affectionate..

Just saw this thread, how sweet are they! I'm gonna look out for them next time I go to the pet shop, just to have a close-up look!

There is a fantastic one (in my opinion) in Swindon, they sell all kinds of animals and birds and they all look really well looked after and are quite picky about who they sell them too, from what I've seen. If I go there I only look at their bunnies and GP's, I've never been in the smaller animal section, maybe they will have some. They sell snakes too, I stay away from them though!

anna said:
There is a fantastic one (in my opinion) in Swindon, they sell all kinds of animals and birds and they all look really well looked after and are quite picky about who they sell them too, from what I've seen. If I go there I only look at their bunnies and GP's, I've never been in the smaller animal section, maybe they will have some. They sell snakes too, I stay away from them though!

Tell me if you see them in there.. I dont like snakes much either!

Back