• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA sample code of practice for rabbits

hiya all,

I have recieved a booklet from the RSPCA today about the prosped new animal welfare bill.

They propose to have code of practice sheets for all animals which owners have to adhear to or face charges (i think), although do in a way agree with the sample one for rabbits I am very concered that for one I myself as a rescue would not be able to take in rabbits anymore and I am sure many rescue will face the same thing. I also believe that is it will lead to 1000's upon 1000's of rabbits being PTS over this.

I know many BRC members will be put out (not all but I know some still keep rabbits in tiny caging).

The sample states:

"Enclosure Space, The Keeper should provide an enclosure that has a minimum floor area that is equal or larger than 2.75m2 when keeping a single rabbit and 5.5m2 for paired rabbits. The minimum height of the enclosure should be 76cm.

The enclosure should contain a sleeping area of approximately 20% of the whole and adequate bedding in the form of hay or straw must be provided."

I myself have 5 rabbits that live in a 6'x4' shed with a 6'x6' avairy attached and they have free range in this, according to this bill I would only be able to have 3 rabbits max in this space so 2 would have to be PTS. With the accomadation in the rescue I was already replacing my 4ft hutches with 8ft which would mean I will have to reduce numbers in the rescue by 3 which is a lot when you think that I could home more rabbits per year. I would love to give them 5.5m2 pens but I don't have the space to build one in my garden so would have to give up rescuing rabbits.

What do you all think about this, in a way I am really pleased but also very cross as I just don't think people will do it if you understand what I am trying to say. Just so you all have a better idea for two rabbits the pen would have to be nearly 8'x'8 or 2.75mx2.75m

Your comments please

Gosh i have 5 buns in a 14"x12" pen as far as i can work out that would only be big enough for 3/4 of them?? Is that right????? I really don't think that that will work people don't listen to adice now about cage size and runs ect how are people and bunny's going to cope and live on with that sort of ruling! I do agree with it in the most part and at least they have recongnised that bunny's need more space but........ oh i don't know!!!!!

Ok can I just check the siz or my hutches, because I don't understand it much?

I have 3 pairs: each two bunnys are in a hutch of 10 by 3 with 5 x 6 run
A group of 3 which will be in 16x3 with 8 by 6 run

Is that ok or too small?

To be fair shouldn't they tackle the size of hutches being sold in pet shops first, but PTS is being threatened?

I Think it sounds good in some ways,for one bunnies will be a lot happier,is the reason behind the size of the pens to stop people having to many animals? most people dont have the space to have several pens that size,and pet shops etc wont have the room either
The cages at the rspca near me have are tiny those white box things that will have to change too

Are mine big enough thou? (i'm accountant that's **** at working out area) .

my twos have 60 sqaure feet per pair
my three have 96 spuare feet

is that ok or not?

OMG mine work out to be too small, by 4 square feet :cry: , what does that mean then, my animals will be taken off me? I'm e-mailing the RSPCA now to ask!

You could put in a shelf, Tree. That could make the extra 4 square feet.
I don't think they would take away and PTS your rabbits - think Siobhan means that rescues would have fewer hutches so not be able to take in so many rabbits resulting in some being PTS. Is that what you meant?

These things can be got round by adding extra storeys and shelves in sheds etc. In the main it will be much better for rabbits as it means pet shops won't be able to sell the totally inadequate hutches they do now.
It will also mean that the initial outlay is more and hopefully put some of the not so good owners off.

Yeah I was thinking about it over the Merry hill after looking at tiny hutches in a pet shop. I think it will be a good thing, I think rescues will be able to get away with more as it's only ever a tempory arrangement. So all in all a good idea. I've e-mailed the RSPCA about my hutches so I will let you know what they say. :D

I would hope they'd use their common sense as well as tape measure. For example:

The enclosure should contain a sleeping area of approximately 20% of the whole and adequate bedding in the form of hay or straw must be provided."

If you had a 5mx2m enclosure that would be a 1mx2m sleeping area. I agree rabbits should have shelter and a bed big enough to stretch out in but a bed that big would make it much harder for them to keep warm in winter. Bunnies need a bed they can snuggle up in. If you exceeded the recommendations and had one bunny in a 10mx4m enclosure if you followed the guideline strictly that would be a 2mx2m bed for one bunny :lol:

It's good they have some guidelines and hopefully it will make hutches bigger I hope they apply them to petshops too, that could effectively stop them selling animals altogether. Larger (therefore for more expensive) hutches would reduce the owners keeping animals. So although rescues might have to deal with an initial influx of bunnies after that hopefully the total bunnies would go down so rescues would also be able to increase the size of accomodation, catering for less bunnies without it causing a problem.

That's roughly 4' x 7'

That's roughly 6.5' x 9'

Tam

what I meant by rabbits being PTS is that if people have to have that size or be taken to court many people can't do it. I cannot extend my rabbit shed as there is no space to and I have only got a small garden so can't build 8'x8' pens or the rescue.

If this comes in and you have to have it many people will say ****** the rabbit and throw it out therefore with many rescues not being able to give the required space many will have to reduce numbers or even stop alltogether like me, I would assume and therefore places in rescue would become even more limted than they are now resulting in all the rabbits which are no longer wanted as people can not or will not provide the required pens being pts. There is a real shortage of rabbit shelters in my area at present and the RSPCA were begging my friend to take them or they would be PTS. I am sure my local RAPCA pens are not that big now so if they make these rules surely they should be providing that now?

As for guniea pig sheets I don't think they have one as this one is only a sample, as far as I was aware the RSPCA recommed at least a 5'x2' hutch. I think it is great but I think that is too big to make people have altough the other half of me thinks great the bigger the better. I must say my rabbits in their 10'x6' enclosure never run about anyway, they just sit around and do nothing all the time!

Larger (therefore for more expensive) hutches would reduce the owners keeping animals. So although rescues might have to deal with an initial influx of bunnies after that hopefully the total bunnies would go down so rescues would also be able to increase the size of accomodation, catering for less bunnies without it causing a problem.

But if rescues can no longer take rabbits and the ones that do will take less and if you have to have those sizes surely it would be harder to rehome the rabbits it isn't easy now by any means. I agree with all you said Tamsin and in a way if it means it will stop future problems with unwanted rabbits then if loads are PTS now it kind of levels out in a way but I still don't think it fair on those rabbits in the first place

I don't know whether this would also apply to breeders? What about farmers (of rabbits), maybe rescues would get exclusions.

What about rabbits that live indoors? :shock:

Mine have a bedroom to themselves but are currently sectioned into puppy pens as they arent neutered, the room is approx 9ft sq and i keep 5 rabbits (ones a tiny baby so has a rabbit 100 cage) they all get exercise in our 75ft garden and all are happy and healthy.............. :shock: :shock:

Well so long as your house takes up 20% of your garden you'll be okay :lol: I wouldn't worry too much yet, they'll have enough work with people using 3' hutches to worry about big sheds and house bunnies :D

These are only drafts and they'll probably also have a set of guideline for inspectors on how to apply them.

Tam

Well for sure I wont be having any of mine PTS, it looks like I'm having the hutches and runs and all the buns are having the house :D

I don't know whether this would also apply to breeders? What about farmers (of rabbits), maybe rescues would get exclusions.

I assume that it applies to all rabbits expect farmers as that is a seperate matter, but it states the keeper to I guess it you own a rabbit either as a pet or for breeding or as a rescue you 'keep it' and are therefore a 'keeper' Clever really as i guess i am not the 'owner' of the rabbits in my rescue just a foster mum but I guess i would qulify as their 'keeper'

If any one want a copy of the booklet out lining all the changes call 0870 3335 999

it is called 'do your duty'

the branch I am involved with don't think this will happen even by the beginning of 2006 and to be honest it is never gonna be enforcable as they are so overstretched I think it is purely gonna be if there is complaints

Elaine

rspca

This act is much more involved than most people realise...I have been in conversation with a lawyer who deals with the rights of animals (mainly dogs on death row) he has nothing but contempt for the RSPCA (much like myself) he will be standing up in parliament & opposing this act what he has said to me is this...that the RSPCA will be acting as animal police, they will be answerable to no one, if the decide that they think an animal may be likely to suffer "in future" then they will remove it from the owner...there will be no appeal...they will just be able to take away peoples pets...all rescues will have to be licensed & subject to random inspections as will breeders ( the act of breeding will be classed as causing unnecessary suffering & the bunns or other animals will be liable to removal)this in itself will mean that huge numbers of animals will be killed as there will be too many to be re-homed...there actual goal is no domestic pets whatsoever as they feel this is the only way to prevent cruelty which means that if this comes about then future generations will never the joys of owning a pet. be afraid be very afraid..we love our pets so we are all at risk.

Back