• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back from the vets with Gabriel

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
well i took gabriel to the vets this morning, and what a good boy he was! my vet absolutely loved him-had to check the carrier on the way out to make sure he was still there :wink: :lol:

well she gave him an injection of panamec for his mites, and i have to go back in two weeks for a second injection, and then another two weeks after that. she also thinks he has conjuctivitus(sp?) so gave me some ointment for his eyes. she cleaned his eyes up for him in the vets and when i got home i put the drops in-he was as good as gold! and his eyes are looking much better already :D

she has also gave me baytril to give him, as she suspects he may have pasturella(sp?) and she wanted to treat him to be on the safe side. the good little boy let me syringe it into his mouth with no problems whatsoever-my ratties always have to have baytril mixed in with something yummy, and even then if they get the taste of it they refuse to eat it! :roll: :lol:

im not 100% sure what pasturella is though-is it a sort of respiratory infection?

oh, she also weighed him-hes only 564g! i have rats heavier then he is! :shock:

she was very good and definately seemed to know her stuff about bunnies. gave me a little pack as well with lots of leaflets in, that were written by the RWF.

just got to concentrate on getting this little boy in good health now :D

thanks for that link :) im assuming my vet is treating him with baytril because of his eyes then, incase it turns out to be pasturella and not conjuctivitus. that puts my mind at ease a little then!

I'd imagine so. Usually its discharge from the nose though so I'd think the eyes are probably just conjuctivities that's not been treated.

Tam

Back