• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Louis Now Back Home :-)

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Well I have had lilltle Louis for just over 1 month now and I had to take him back over to Donna (ARC) where I got him from and drop him off with her so she could take him off to the vets this morning as it seems he has got tooth problems AGAIN :shock: He had bad molar spurs when Arc first took him in wheich had got so bad it had cut his tongue. Well It seems to have appeared very suddenly but I first noticed it last Friday, he was fine in the morning when i gave them breakfast, and also at lunch time, but by 5pm his mouth was very wet, Poor little thing :( Anyway he has continued to manage to eat his pellets and has managed some veg with me hand feeding him :D (hope he doesnt get any ideas about that continuing after hes better :? !! :lol:) So I dropped him and Twinkle (Donna thought it would be best if Twinkle were with him :D ) Off last night when i picked up our new boy Timmy :D

Just sitting playing the waiting game now till Donna hears from the vet :? :(
Despite having 3 other bunnies it seems very quiet here without him and Twinks, for little buns they obviously have a big presence :D

This was Louis last Friday with his wet mouth :(
17Jun0511.jpg

It doesnt look that wet but it looks like he had just stuck his mouth under a running tap.........poor little guy :(

:( Poor little fella, it must be so uncomfortable for them! He's a very handsome chap though isn't he!

Aww poor little Louis. Hope he is feeling better soon. Bet he willmake up for i when he gets home :lol: He willexpect an extra special treat fromhis mummy :lol:

Awww Cute wee chap - its awful when you feel that you just carn't magic em better but hopefully he'll soon be feeling better.

Have at last managed to get through on phone to find out how Louis is doing. Firstly, HE IS FINE.

It's not very good news though. He had huge spurs on his left upper molars this had caused inflamation of the tongue - she has trimmed these teeth. She also had to remove 3 of the right upper molars. This is a real worry as I'm not sure how his bottom teeth are going to wear down now.
His front teeth are fine.

I can pick him up at 6pm and will ask about him in a bit more detail.
It's a real worry as he only had a dental 6 months ago and they have got to this state in that time.
All we can do, I suppose, is for you to bring him back to us everytime he shows signs. I know you are feeding him correctly, so I'm really at a loss as what to do. x

OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

No wonder he was not feeling himself :shock:

Poor little guy, It was a wonder he could eat atall if thats how bad it was?

Could he have been in discomfort for longer than last friday when i first noticed it???

Awww im so worried & upset now............I hope hell be ok, ive really become so attached to him :( :( :( :( :(

Hurrah for Louis! Glad to hear he's ok.

I thought they always took out the opposite teeth because otherwise they won't wear down :?

We're back!
Spoken in more depth to vet.
Apparantly the top teeth that she removed weren't even touching the bottom ones - so it won't make any difference to the growth of those.
She also said that they may grow back and there is a slim chance (but only slim) that when/if they do they may line up better.
Only time will tell. Like this time, we just need to get him seen to as soon as you see any signs.
They are both quite happy, despite the heat!
See you tomorrow x

aw thats great news , cheeky must be coming out in sympathy with him . Its cheekybuns turn tomorrow - again !

louis has the very same issues as cheeky almost. maybe they can be pen friends ?? lol

Debbie decided to leave Louis with me last night to save him the hours drive home. He came round from his anaethetic really well and has been eating like a horse!
Twinkle is looking after him nicely.

Thank you so much Donna for looking after him :D Found it a bit difficult to post much yesterday as i was quite worried about him and after hearing from you about the tooth extraction etc I felt quite upset :(

Had all the other buns in the garden for the evening last night to cool off in the cooler air and Timmy was helping to take my mind of how sad I was feeling, He seemed to enjoy his first taste of the garden (on the patio only.....No grass just yet)

Looking forward to picking them up later and seeing my brave little boy :D

Hi debbie, sorry only just read this post. Glad Louis is ok, my Ralf had spurs removed from his teeth too - the lionhead breed seem to have terrible teeth problems due to in-breeding etc. He had alot of saliva round his mouth too, and he's ok up to now (touch wood). I cut his food up into tiny pieces and he's seemed to manage ok up to now. Sending big hugs. xxx

Thanks Kerri :D

Just off to meet hubby to pick him up......think i might be stopping off at P@H to buy a little treat for my brave little boy :D

Let you know how hes doing later xx

Debs2811 said:
Thanks Kerri :D

Just off to meet hubby to pick him up......think i might be stopping off at P@H to buy a little treat for my brave little boy :D

Let you know how hes doing later xx

I always do that!! Hope Chris gets me a treat when he gets home, I got discharged from hospital at 11.00pm last night and hadnt had anything to eat from 6.15am - 11.45pm - I nearly fainted. I wont hijack your thread Debbie - but just thought Id let you know that I had 4 eggs retrieved yesterday and 3 out of 4 fertilised!! :D Have my embryo transfer on Sunday - pregnancy test on 11th July. Fingers crossed. Give Louis a big hug from me!! xxx

Thanks guys :D

Louis is now home (with Twinkle) and has made himself right at home again, munched straight in to his hay and pellets within 5 mins of being back in his crate :D

DSCF0142.jpg

Aww its lovely having him home :D Ive really missed them :love:

Back