• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny treats?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
apart from the obvious fruit and veg(when hes old enough!) what other treats could i give Gabriel? i bought some Wag rabbit treats for him, and he had a bit of a nibble on a beetroot one, but ignored the carrot flavoured one :? is there any treats that i could make him? or that i would have in my kitchen cupboards perhaps? or is it strictly fruit and veg treats only?

I think the best treats are fruits! :D

At this time of year, strawberries are Jack's favourite (and mine!). He also likes apple, parsley and banana. I think he sees other vegetables and fruits as 'food' rather than treats...

My rabbit also loves Harry Hamster treats and others like them. He binkys when he hears the packet being opened!! I try not to give him them very often as they probably aren't very healthy, but they are useful as a bribe to get Jack into his carrier to the vets - no other treat works!

hi

If you have a new, young rabbit in poor health already I wouldn't recommend giving any 'treats' at all - my 2 never get treats and they love their SS pellets so much I'd give a couple of them as a treat if I wanted to win them over for some reason - or a slice of carrot - but mine are older and used to veggies now...I wouldn't give them any fruit even so, as it's too sugary (as is carrot so it's limited) - It's natural to want to treat the bunny you love, but it's not necessary for their health, and can even be detrimental for it - but that's me being a strict mum :roll:

All those pet store treats are rubbish, if you read the ingredients it is sugar, perservatives and other muck! Also the 'carrot' drops and other treats even have milk in them!!!!! :shock: :shock: Rabbits are strict herbivores, how dare they put milk and eggs in rabbit treats!!!!

As for hamsters, they can eat plain cooked meats (chicken and turkey as well as minced beef and the fish cod is fine (no pork and no meats that have spices garlic or onion), hard boiled egg and milk etc but still I never have fed my hamsters any pet store rubbish. As a treat for my hamster I feed plain runny porridge/ brown bread soaked in milk, boiled egg or some meat or as a real tasty treat (and a real healthy one too) I feed this: Brown bread soaked in milk, plain natural yoghurt, whole oats, pumkin seeds, shredded veggies/fruit and mix it all togther. Not only is it low in sugar but it is tasty and natural, of course don't feed your hamster a great heap of it if they haven't had anything you have put in it, I feed this once a week. Oh and campbell russian dwarves are prone to diabetes so no fruit. :wink:

Anyway as a treat for your rabbit, fruit is good and healthy and tasty! In small amounts of course! :wink:

Mine love a little bit of wholemeal toast as a treat.

And I think they think its a treat when they come out into the garden each day and nibble at my flowers and herbs....the gardens like a big bunny all you can eat buffet to them......

Just make sure the flowers aren't poisionous.;) Buttercups are and so are many others, but clover is fine and I think even rose petals are ok, right?

Thanks Beebop,

Yes I know about the buttercups I hate the things, my garden does have loads but they do tend to leave them alone....I have never managed to establish if it is the flower of the buttercup that is poisonous or the greenery or the whole plant. I do tend to get the mower out as soon as I see the flowers coming up just in case. But other than spray the whole lawn with chemicals which I don't like using/ and would be keeping the buns off the garden for goodness knows how long....I am a bit stuck with them really....I keep hinting to the O/H that maybe we should re turf the lawn : )

Yes there are a couple of plants that I need to check on that have come up in the garden recently, but all the things they eat/destroy I know are ok.

And I think they think its a treat when they come out into the garden each day and nibble at my flowers and herbs....the gardens like a big bunny all you can eat buffet to them......

Re: hi

elve said:
If you have a new, young rabbit in poor health already I wouldn't recommend giving any 'treats' at all - my 2 never get treats and they love their SS pellets so much I'd give a couple of them as a treat if I wanted to win them over for some reason - or a slice of carrot - but mine are older and used to veggies now...I wouldn't give them any fruit even so, as it's too sugary (as is carrot so it's limited) - It's natural to want to treat the bunny you love, but it's not necessary for their health, and can even be detrimental for it - but that's me being a strict mum :roll:

oh no you misunderstood-i wouldnt be giving him many treats now, and only offered him the beetroot/carrot treats to see if he would even take them. no, i know veggies etc or a no no until hes a wee bit older and settled in properly :D

elve said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: We must have been twins in a former life me thinks :lol: :lol: - this is exactly what I do for my bunsters too - I think you carn't go far wrong if you keep their diet as close to natural wild bunnies as possible - they wouldn't get Pet Store treats in the wild and as their tummy's are so delicate so why risk it :wink:

One thing mine absolutely adore is fresh Apple Sticks if you can get them and great for their teeth too - this time of year I take of most of the leaves so bunnies don't get too many and wash the sticks thoroughly and boy oh boy do they love em - especially Aunt Adeles Apple Sticks - this lucky lady has a whole orchard next door :D :D :D :D

I also feed my one w/ fresh fruit & vegetable, but the value in nuts are very high too.

NON-salted natural Almond, cashew, peanuts, dry mango, dry apricots, banana chips, raisin (lots of Iron), etc. are good for rabbits.

Peanuts does have some oil inside, but I only feed one or two per day.

My little rabbit also loves white bread, but he only eat the toasted one, not the white non-toasted. He jump on the kitchen table and eat my toasted beard every evening, about 1/2 a slice to 1 slice.

mine adore rolled oats! they go mad for them! they are high in calories tho so should only be fed as a treat, but other than tha are healthy!

this isnt really a food treat but a treat to break boredom too...
i went round to donnas house today and saw that she had put hay in a toilet roll for a bunnies. one boy alfie, was really enjoying munching his hay and playing with his loo roll!

sophie

bunnytales said:
One thing mine absolutely adore is fresh Apple Sticks if you can get them and great for their teeth too - this time of year I take of most of the leaves so bunnies don't get too many and wash the sticks thoroughly and boy oh boy do they love em - especially Aunt Adeles Apple Sticks - this lucky lady has a whole orchard next door :D :D :D :D

Ah yes - twins we must be! I'm down to my last apple stick - must ask ex-mum in law for another bundle :D

Back