• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

readigrass discontinued?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
the owners of my local pet shop have been told by their suppliers that spillers readigrass has been discontinued-does anyone know if there is any truth in this? im assuming not :?
the pet shop has now ordered in alfalfa grass as a substitute, is this sort ok? will it be ok for a young bun? and would it be ok for my guinea pigs? Bill and Budd(piggies) are going to be ever so upset without their readigrass-they LOVE it!

how big a bag of redigrass does your shop sell? I cant find it in anything smaller than bales...

spillars do it and so does dobson something, sorry cant remember full name!!

is it a big pet shop you get it from or just a small local? I am struugling to find anything other than meadow hay

There is always a shortage of it at this time of year because they only cut it once a year. I very much doubt it has been discontinued, the pet shop probably just got their wires crossed. I have had no problem getting hold of it. The alfalfa is not suitable for adult guinea pigs because of the high calcium content. Either bunny bazaar or bunny mail (cant remember which) sell readigrass on mail order.

Cheryl

its bunny bazaar, but the only drawback there is their postage is about £4, never heard of bunny mail so I have to go look now ;)

I picked up two bales of Readigrass a couple of weeks ago with out any problem. Our pet shop (which doesn't sell any livestock) buys it in to order when we require it. He didn't say anything about it not being able to get it again. Like Cheryl says it often gets in short supply this time of the year as there is only one cut to make it each year, I would guess that last years cut is getting low in stock and they are waiting for the new supply to start coming through.

Janice

cazza269: my local pet shop usually gets a bale in, and then bags it up into smaller bags themselves. i did weigh the bags once but cant remember how much they weighed :?

thanks for letting me know that the alfalfa wont be good for the piggies Cheryl-the pet shop told me the piggies would love it :roll: but then, ive never trusted anything a pet shop has to say, even the "good" ones :?

looks like i shall have to try and order Bill and Budd some readigrass off the net then, just have to avoid getting any other goodies off any sites i go on :shock: :lol:

Ryo_the_rat said:
looks like i shall have to try and order Bill and Budd some readigrass off the net then, just have to avoid getting any other goodies off any sites i go on :shock: :lol:

:shock: :? Ha, good luck with that one! I haven't managed just buying what I need yet!! :lol:

You could use Burgess forage instead available from vets as well as pet shops or Graze On is similar, although not all of them like that.

hmm another two names to look for, Cobey doesnt seem mad keen on the meadow hay so I would like to be able to find him an alternative

A bale of readigrass is about the same size as a bale of hay, it says it is 15kgs and costs us about £9.

I presume readigrass is just dried grass? If so i have used several different makes that mine eat like mad. I only get bags, not bales tho. There is Friendly grass and Supa Select pure dried grass.

rngpwelfare said:
You could use Burgess forage instead available from vets as well as pet shops or Graze On is similar, although not all of them like that.

the burgess forage-would that be a substitute for the dried grass? or is it a type of hay(can it be used instead of hay?) i have seen it at my vets and shall be going tommorrow so if its more or less the same as readigrass i shall pick up a bale of it.

Readigrass may be given in addition to unlimited hay and their pellet 'rations' and normal veggies.

Janice

Beebop said:
Is the readigrass all they eat, hay should be fed as well, this link explains:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1236&highlight=readigrass

oh no-the guineas have an unlimited supply of hay, wagg guinea pig crunch and a bowl full of veggies/fruit everyday :D i was giving them the readigrass as a "treat" everyday too, as it is also high in vitamin C apperently.

so would the burgess forage be good to try instead of readigrass? the vets didnt have any today but i am going to ask them to order some in, however on the front of the bag(piccie in a leaflet) it says its for rabbits, and doesnt mention guinea pigs :?

After reading this thread I contacted Spillers as we sell readigrass also.

They have only stopped making the 1kg bags, 15kg bales are still availible

as to postage costs, there isnt much you can do about that :( but the more you buy the cheaper the postage is (eg. 4kg - 30kg costs the same price to send).

hope this helps.

Back