• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Long after op.................

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

How long after a female has been neautered do we have to wait before starting the bonding process?

All potential partners have been neutered for a long time.

Thanks
Rachel

Hiya Rachael

I guess you'll get a few variances on this one as it can very much depend on folks personal experiences with their own bunnies - and every bunny is different :wink:

I would personally give it approximately a fortnight as my experience when my own bunny was spayed Buffy is that its a big operation for them and you will need to make sure she is well and truely healed internally before you pop her with a mate.

During the first few days after a spay it's best to keep her quiet and in a confined if she isn't hutched so that she doesn't jump about and risk opening her wound - which should be checked minimum twice daily.

Hope this helps and I'm sure our other great Forum Folk will be along shortly with their own experiences to help you.

Good luck with the eventual bonding.

hi

Hi There

I agree with the above, its a major op and bunny has lots of stitches inside too, I would leave it 2 weeks min but 4 weeks to be safe.

Lisa

i agree, about 2 weeks as long as the bunny is well in themself.

you should position them so they can see each other now, so that when the 2 are introduced they are already used to seeing and smelling each other!

sophie

Thanks for the info. Its been just over a week since the op. She seems fine. At this moment she is in a run in the garden next to her proposed partner (who is in another run). They keep sniffing each other through the netting.

I will wait until the weekend after next before trying them together.

Fingers crossed...............

Just had the last of our three rabbits spayed. (Have 2 females and 1 male). The vet suggested at least 2 weeks after the stitches are removed for a female to be bonded. Had different opinions on the male rabbit (4 or 6 weeks since op). Better to wait the 6 weeks I guess.

Out of interest, I have started to introduce our previously neutered male/female in a seperated run. Both seemed interested in sniffing each other, but when I removed the barrier, the female "mounted" the male and nipped him on the bum! (I guess this is a dominance thing!) I've decided to try it a bit longer with them seperated, but able to sniff each other, before letting them loose again.

Cristian

Back