• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flies

DONNA69

New Kit
Hi
Had a nasty expericence yesterday, I was brushing Chester(who is an Angora - kept short (I know not to everyones in agreement but makes both him & me a lot happier) I found fly eggs stuck to his fur on his back & more around his tail. :x Got rid of them all with water & a spot of disenfectant.
I know what they turn into when I was younger I had a rabbit who suffered fly strike & survived. :cry:

Any ideas on how I can prevent this happening again & did I do the right thing?

Thanks
Donna

You can get rear guard from your vet. Lots of people recommend dyna-mite. Both these are put onto bunnies rear end to repel flies.
Very important that he doesn't get overweight as this will hinder him cleaning himself. A good diet too - quality pellets and hay. Leafy green veg if it doesn't upset his tummy.

Well done for noticing and dealing with it. Keep checking in case you've missed any!

Thanks for all your replies.

Glad I did spot them before they turned in to maggots.
They are hard to spot, doesn't help that Chester is plain grey & white.
I'll be checking him everyday, just in case which he will hate, bless him he doesn't like being brushed at the best of times.

Will the disenfectant hurt him, it was only two capfulls of savlon in a whole bucket of warm water?

Thanks
Donna

Gosh lucky you spotted them early well done....

I got rearguard for my 2 ....one application is 10 weeks protection and I managed to do 2 buns with the one bottle (£11 a bottle). I believe this is the only product that can prevent the eggs turning into maggots, but it is not a fly repellent so I have been spraying round the bunny runs with some citronella that seems to help.

After reading this topic I suddenly thought it a bit odd that Treacles cage has been open for an hour and he hasn't budged! So I crawled into the cage for a botty inspection! :shock: and he gave me the most indignant look ever :shock: I felt like a bunny molester!!! :lol: :lol: but botty was nice and clean!!! :D

Rearguard is a good idea. Anything that minimised flies helps to so stepping up the frequency of cleaning, putting up fly papers, using mosquito netting etc. You might also want to clip him a little shorter for the summer so any problems are easier to spot.

Wet fur is difficult to shave and attracts flies so be careful about getting him damp. If they develop into maggots he's need to see a vet and have his fur shaved right off so check before getting him damp. Make sure he is thouroghly dry afterwards to and warm & damp are flies favourite conditions.

Well done for spotting it though, its very important to check bunnies regularly. You stopped it from becoming much more serious.

Tam

i was wondering if it would be worth me getting some reargaurd for my new bunny, he is being kept inside, and wont be able to have a run outside just yet(problems with neighbours are preventing us using the garden for anything at all right now :evil: )

i just worry so much about fly strike as this is what killed my precious Minky when i was younger :( im going to be so paranoid about it with little Gabriel!

Back