• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

broccoli

Mine love it - I give them all of it but as with anything new - introduce gradually if you are planning on giving it to your buns.

hi

I started my 2 off with a tiny sprig off a tiny floret off the top of a tiny stick of brocolli (I'm a cautious type :lol: ) - I had heard it can cause gas so I didn't want that to deal with...They were OK with that for a week or so, then I gave them a quartered floret for a while, then half (a floret being one of the mini bits at the top of the brocolli head) and now they have a whole floret each! - they get through about an average head of brocolli a week, although I help them as I love the stuff...

I tried cobey with some, gave him a tummy upset :(

but most veg does, I only give tiny bits but always upsets his tummy

cazza269 said:
I tried cobey with some, gave him a tummy upset :(

but most veg does, I only give tiny bits but always upsets his tummy

What exactly do you mean by giving him an upset tummy Caz? was it a messy botty? If so Twinkle used to have that everytime i gave her any sort of Veg, I had a word with my vet and they told me it often isnt the veg that upsets their tumm but not enough fibre in the diet, Ive since changed her pellets to a higher fibre feed and now she munchs away on veg and loves it and no messy botty :D She has also started eating more hay which has also helped, what feed is he on??

yes its not runny tummy, but kind of soft large poos (sorry :oops: )

he is on a food called Lifelong, its a single pellet food, he gets hay everyday but to be honest I dont see him touch it much at all, any ideas how to improve his hay eating?

cazza269 said:
yes its not runny tummy, but kind of soft large poos (sorry :oops: )

he is on a food called Lifelong, its a single pellet food, he gets hay everyday but to be honest I dont see him touch it much at all, any ideas how to improve his hay eating?

Yep sounds exactly like Twinkle. Any idea of the fibre content in the Lifelong?? the soft poos are the caertophs (SP?) which means hes not getting enough fibre, Jess also had this problem but thankfully with a change of Pellets it is also now rectified. Twinkle was switched to Excel which is about 16% fibre and also contains a probiotic for the gut, Jess has been put on to A&P natural pellets which is about 24% fibre (Twinkle will be put on this too in time but at the moment I have to feed the excel as Louis her bonded mate has tooth problems and i have kept him on the excel as this is thr only thing he will eat)

Have you tried hay stuffed loo rolls?, or Timothy hay balls from www.chinchillas2home.co.uk
Also do you use a hay rack or just put a pile on the floor?

I have noticed a lot of people recommending ss food, is that good fibre wize? I will look for a & p and this ss stuff, we have a problem with very few pet shops, all very small so limited choice, although one in the neighbouring town may have it

I put his hay in a bowl, would a rack be better?

cazza269 said:
just checked fibre content....its 14% is that a bit low?

Yep a bit low, that explains the soft poos, better to try a higher fibre feed so what ever you can get hold of really, A&P is only available in 20kg sacks but it is cheap at £6.25 or thereabouts so if you have somewhere to store it its cost effective, it is only available from farm shops (though ive heard some shops do sell it) look up your local horse feed farm shop and as long as they stock A&P horse feed they should be able to order you a bag.
I havent tried SS as i havent seen it anywhere local so dont know about that.
I asked about the racks as I started all mine with racks for their hay but Petey just liked to throw the rack around, Louis wouldnt go near it and didnt have a clue how to use it, Twinkle used it as a bed etc, anyway I have taken all the racks away now and just leave a pile on the floor, and all buns seem to eat it much more as they play with it and in playing they eat it.

try putting some hay in a box that he can jump in and have a dig, buns like to dig and Petey digs and eats so worth a try.

thanks for your help, I am just heading to the shops so will see what I can find!

we have a few farm shops...us being counrty folks ;) so will give them a shot too

Hi

I had this very same problem with Elvis. He was having excess soft poos for a while so i cut the veg right down but nothing changed......after reading a few posts on here I switched his food from the petshop stuff he`d always had (we got him from a pet shop :oops: ) to Excel Lite and touch wood he now munches away on vegs to his hearts content and has no excess soft poos!!! Yippee!!!!

Sweetie said:
Hi

I had this very same problem with Elvis. He was having excess soft poos for a while so i cut the veg right down but nothing changed......after reading a few posts on here I switched his food from the petshop stuff he`d always had (we got him from a pet shop :oops: ) to Excel Lite and touch wood he now munches away on vegs to his hearts content and has no excess soft poos!!! Yippee!!!!

Yeah my vet told me veg rarely causes soft poos, its usually the lack of fibre that causes it. As I said I thought Veg always gave Twinkle a messy botty,but since changing her pellets she can eat veg now to her hearts content :D

Brocolli and Kale are two veggies that I don't use for any of the buns as it gives them gassy tums and also runny poops :? I have found that anything that is really high in iron - like brocolli is not good for the Hairy Mob :roll:

I wouldnt be very popular if i cut out Kale and brocolli, as all mine LOVE it, I think it is probably their favourite. Though having trouble getting hold of Kale at the moment............is it out of season???

Back