• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky Bun Help

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Ginny we discovered last night had a very sticky bun (very unusual for her) and she was not impressed with the bath DH gave her.

So we cut out hers and Rons veg and left them on hay and pellets last night.

Also her litter training has totally gone out of the window.

Is there anything else we can do?

Hiya Jodes and Ads

Sometimes if you get a sticky bum bunny its best to take them right back to basics - i.e Just lots of lovely fresh hay for your bunny to munch and then re-introduce pellets and veggies really gradually once her tummy is more settled.

You could also try a little Probiotic in Ginny's water which will help rebalance her Gut.

What kinda quantities of Pelletts and Veggies does your lovely bunster have - also what kind of Veggies - have you introduced anything new recently?

Just keep a careful watch on her bottom :roll: :roll: though as in this weather it's so easy for a bunny to get FlyStrike so its real important that she's kept pristine clean.

Good luck with little Ginny - hope this helps :wink:

Pellets - as per the instructions on the back of the pellets bag (Super excel)

Veg - they have corriander, parsley, 3 carrotts with tops, 1 stick of celery and half a leaf of cabbage or a slightly different variation on that.

At the moment we are checking her bun morning and night. They also get cleaned out daily as well.

Their main part of their food is hay and lots of it.

Where will I be able to buy the probiotic from?

Thanks

The Excel food can cause excess caecotrophs, which might be what is giving her the sticky bum. I had to switch off it due to the mess they all made when they were fed it. I now use Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets and the problem is sorted. Does it look as if it is caecotrophs stuck in her fur? Is she overweight? A fat bunny has trouble reaching to clean itself. If this is the case reduce or eliminate her pellets and gradually switch her to a different sort. Science selective is good too I hear.

If the sticky bum is from runny poo rather than just not eating and/or cleaning her soft caecotrophs it is much more serious and a trip to the vet would be a good idea as she could get dehydrated and may have something quite serious. She could well need an anti-biotic and an antiinflamatory injection.
In either case a probiotic would be a good idea. If you go to the vet they would give you one, or you can buy Avipro online - it is very good. You can get it from http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/ .

And as Lany said keep an eye on her bottom, watching for fly eggs, as a messy bum in this weather is asking for flystike. Some rearguard from the vet would be a good idea too.

Hiya

Diet sounds o.k although personally I tend to stear clear of cabbage but like your little Ginny mine have corriander, basil, Fennel (which is brill for bunny tummy's).

I think personally I would still take her back to basics for a few days until her tum is more settled - if she's eating loads of hay and drinking water then thats great as it will get loads of fibre through her gut which is what she will need.
As long as she's up to weight and there are no weight worries for her you should be fine to stop her Excel feed. One thing you might want to have a look at is swapping her over to Science Selective which I think is slightly higher in fibre than Excel and I think some previous good forum folk have had some Sticky Bum problems which improved greatly when they changed over.

You probably know already but if you decide to give this a go and change her food then do it real gradual so her tum has time to adapt.

Avipro Probiotic you can purchase on line from Noahs Cupboard at:-
http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/

Hope this helps - if her tummy probs persist though after a couple of days of just hay only I'd pop her to your Vet for a Bunny MOT :D

Sending a snuggle for Ginny :wink:

post subject

My two had trouble with sticky bum`s, and was always cleaning them and a real worry in the summer months with the flies.

they were on super excel and I changed them over to science selective over a course of a month, and touch wood have never had any problems since.

I would think about changing the diet.

Hi,

I second that, I have some on SS as Excel is too rich for them and from then on no problem. I also think it has a probiotic in it as well, you may have to order it from a good pet shop but it is quite easy to get.

Maureen

They have been on susper excel since they were little. Haven't had a problem until now.

May be I will look into science selective.

Jode

Hi,

Recently they changed the formula for Excel it could be you have just started to use the new one as the bags have a long life date and where ever you get your bags from could have had a large supply in.

I have a 50/50 split some on ss and other on Excel as I said, nothing against Excel but the bunnies I have swopped over no longer have sticky bums :D :D :D

Try it and see, don't forget to do it gradually.

Best Wishes

Maureen

We have been using this bag for the last couple of weeks and the sticky bun only appeared yesterday.

I think I will keep her on hay and pellats and water for a few days and see how she is.

Than maybe change the pellats.

Back