• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nose nudging, what does it mean?

cazza269

Mama Doe
Now that cobey is gaining in confidence, he comes over to give hubby and I a good ole sniff and inspect. He does this thing with his nose and was wondering if there was some reason to it.

When he has has a little sniff, he gives you a shove with his nose, just kind of bumps your arm with it!

Mine normally do this when they want you to pet them and one of them does it if you stop petting them, I think it is their way of saying 'Hey I want a cuddle or a stroke please'. :D I am glad he is getting his confidence it proves he is happy and is feeling more and more secure, he also knows that he has a family that love him. well done

wow!! thats good! He still wont really sit for a pat but I have got the odd sneaky one in and he hasnt objected, lol

going by all his binkies and stretching out on the rug I think he is happy ;), couldnt have done it without the advice of all you guys....hes a happy bunny and so am I, lol

Out of bad always comes good especially after your first encounter with that other bunny. He must have been meant for you.

Aww, thats sweet. It definately sounds like he's settling in. Next time, try making a fist and stretch your arm out putting it palm down on the floor about a foot in front of his nose. He might then stretch his nose out in front of it and let you give him a nose rub :D

Tam

Hiya Caz,

Sophie does this all the time for fuss! Or if we happen to be busy (how rude of us :roll: ) she will do that until we have to pay her attention! :lol:

While Cobey is settling in, take a look at this site, it will help when you are wondering what he is trying to tell you! :wink:

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Awww Bless - yep definately sounds like your bunny is settleing in nicely and say "Hey - I'm here you know :lol: :lol: "

hes a funny bunny, he does this but doesnt really stay for a pat, :roll: but I will try the nose rub thing

that site is great Laura, I have been a few times

he will eventually stay as he knows something good will happen, one of mine if she want attention will nudge and walk in an out of your legs like a cat does, it is funny really as I have 20 buns at the moment and every single one does something different for attention.

I am enjoying having a bunny so so much, never had bunnys before, we had dogs in the house when I was young, but this is a first, never have I found an animal so rewarding!!

bet it must be amazing watching 20 bunny reactions etc!!!!!

Hester bites my bum when she wants attention

:shock: :shock: eeeeeekk!! lol I think I will stick with the nose nudge...although plenty of flesh on my behind to sink bunny teeth into....lol

Poppy does this if she wants a nose rub (or head massage - she loves them!!) - if I ignor her, she butts me harder and then nips me!!! Naughty girl - that'll teach me to ignor such an oh high and mighty bunny!! :lol:

I think my neighbours think me and my oh are mad as we sit laughing many a night at the things they get up to. I remember 3 years ago I breed
and had never seen buns do the deed, well my super stud bun had me and my oh in hysterics as after he had finished he would fall over, I think the neighbours thought we were a bit pervece. I really hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as we do out of our lot. I only bred 3 times as I found it hard to get homes for the babies (not hard but if I wasn't keen on the people they didn't get them and I also didn't like letting them go). I do prefer rescuing as I know buns are getting a second chance of happiness and I love watching their confidence and personalities developing.

Cobey I think maybe appeared on rabbit rehome....there was a mini lop, cant remember name, was listed as in angus, but the contact person was somebody in peebles (just 2 miles from the rescue I got him from) who said on rr that they had two buns but were unable to care for them anymore....it seems to close to be coincedence.

Any what I am trying to blether out is that I have a feeling he came from an ok home to begin with, maybe just a bit timid through lack of human contact, but it has made my job slightly easier as he is a lovely bunny just a bit shy of being touched, but sure does love to play!!

Mine do the nudgey thing. Rosie and Jemima do it to my legs when they want me out of the way!! Percy does nudge me for nose rubs, or when he wants me to stroke a different part of him!! Dudley isn't as demanding, he just flattends himself on the floor when he wants attention!

They are funny our bunnies aren't they!

Back