• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bit of advice needed!

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
hey guys a need some advice really...

Iv got a male mini lop who goes by the name molly (gender confusion at birth bless him). Hes now 1 and iv had him since he was 8 weeks. Hes been neutered and is a really friendly rabbit who is real laid back. Recently Iv had to go to work a lot because im not at uni and i don't get to spend as much time with him as id like.

Id like to get him a special pal and iv got a super huge hutch big enough for 2 rabbits and i just needed some advice on what sort of bunny to get for him...a lady said to me today at the pet shop she didnt think i should pair him with someone and get him a toy...???I thought that was a bit strange...
Also does age matter...?? would a younng un and a one year old not mix?? im aware the best combination is male and female just wanted a bit more advice

Really sorry about the supa dupa long essay guys!!!

Thanks a lot x

Age really doesn't matter except both rabbits should be neutered/spayed before bonding. You are right about the male/female combo...it really does work best!
Breed doesn't really matter actually...some people say that rabbits only like their own kind, but that is usually not true. I say bring your boy down to a rescue and see which lady she likes best, that way she is already spayed and you can start the bonding process a lot sooner :D !
If you need anymore help just ask :wink: :D

I would definatly agree with Charlie Suzy, male female is best and neutering of both is recommended. Goos luck finding your bun a friend XXX

thanks guys the hunt is on for finding him a special someone!!
Just the lady said today if you put a 1 year old and a baby together the adult would kill it...I didn't know this...but my bun wouldnt kill anything :( !! I sometimes think the people at the pet shops sometimes dont really know what they are talking about...hence the gender confused bun!!! got him from a rescue cos a child brought him from a pet shop but lost interest :? and they sexed him wrong so poor thing is called molly :wink:

I agree 100 percent with Phill and Charlie. Male and female are the best and neutering always helps with bondings.

It is strange though that the petstore girl said get him a toy. What a great companion that would make!

Good luck on your hunt for his perfect girlie friend!

suzy_d said:
thanks guys the hunt is on for finding him a special someone!!
Just the lady said today if you put a 1 year old and a baby together the adult would kill it...I didn't know this...but my bun wouldnt kill anything :( !! I sometimes think the people at the pet shops sometimes dont really know what they are talking about...hence the gender confused bun!!! got him from a rescue cos a child brought him from a pet shop but lost interest :? and they sexed him wrong so poor thing is called molly :wink:

You were definitely right to doubt what the pet shop person said! You will be best of neutering the new little girl before you bond the buns, which as you probably know shouldn't be done until she's 5 or 6 months old and then introduce her to Molly. I have a 6 year old little boy and a 6 month old little girl, they bonded just fine. :D

If you go and do some bunny dating at a rscue centre you may find a suitable bun that is already neutered.

Hi

I got my lad a lady friend for company (well I was supposed to get him a lady and ended up getting him 4 ladies, and 1 has since given birth though nothing to do with him!). I have successfully bonded 2 ladies with him and he is so happy. It can take some time and a bucket full of patience. I would defo get your bun a mate and as already suggested, take him along to a sanctuary and let him pick his own pal.

Let us know how you get on.

Xx

I too have a 6 year old with a 6 month old and in fact my eldest loves playing with her, and is really gentle with her.
My other 2 buns are 2 years old and 18 months old. So I have got a good mix of ages.
My lot are 2 males and 2 females and although they live in seperate cages they spend 10 to 14 hours a day in the run together, I have very little disagreements between them. In fact its normal to see them doing a group cleaning session.

Back