• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seen today "baby rabbits for sale"

rabshan

Mama Doe
Driving down to the farm today I saw a sign advertising baby rabbits for sale from £5.00p. I am speechless (very unusual for me) what sort of home will these poor babies get...how many will go to people just driving past & getting a bunny on impulse cos the kids are shouting that they want one & they can,t say no to them can they??? and a fiver for a rabbit thats a ridiculously small amount for a little life ...I would like to give them some RWF leaflets & a piece of my mind but i,m afraid that I would lose my temper with people like that who sell bunnies so cheaply in all senses...has anyone got any ideas how I could handle this situation.

put a poster up next to it saying 'baby rabbits for sale £3.50 then whoever comes to buy one lecture them about rabbits :lol:

bunnies for sale

Hi...they also sell ducklings & chicks, cant help wondering where they all end up...how many will be stuck at the bottom of the garden (if they have one) & forgotten after the novelty wears off..it seems to be a sort of farm shop but their attitude to selling these animals is abyssmal...they had a sign up at easter too!!! again selling baby bunnies for a fiver..I was going to call in then but decided not to but feel I should DO something now as they will keep on selling.

hmm tough one, i think you should go in and check on the conditions of them, you my be able to report them to the rspca?

I would go snatch them all up, and try to rehome them. I know thats not a very practical thing, or well thought out thing to do, but I wouldn't be able to help my self. I dont even want to think about what might happen to them... :(

It sounds like snake food to me as well. The money that it costs to even feed a litter is insane. My Litter's food alone (hay, pellet and veggies) cost $250+ (don't know how many pounds that is). Anyone feeding a mommy and her babies wouldn't try and make money off of them. If they are snake food and you rescue them give them a nice long quarentine.

Her in the US a VHD outbreak was confirmed 5 days ago. I believe the infected rabbits came from kentucky and then traveled to a food animal "farm" where the disease struck. I think 200 buns have died and they don't know where it started. That thougt is kinda scary cuz there is no VHD vaccine in the US. It just isn't common enough.

i agree this isn't the best way of advertising animals but i belive that money isnt every thing if some one wanted a rabbit to shut a kid up then they would pay to give the child what it wants, be it £5 or £30, iv had rabbit given me for free only cause they know it was going to a good home, we dont know the whole story here the person could turn down offers but we dont know. I know it sounds unlikely but u never know.
alot of breeders will sell there rabbits cheeper then what most people think, pet shops like to make profit remember so they will buy rabbits or 5-12 pounds from breeders and sell on or 20-30 pounds, if they r cross breeds then they do sell cheeper
now this one does sound like they want a quick sale but i just wanted to point out that it isnt the always the money that grabs people
becky

for sale

Hi...I think I will call in this place next time I pass & "act dumb" & pretend I want to buy one of their babies & see what sort of people I am dealing with...I will know if they are genuine as they will ask questions about what sort of home , cage size , feeding etc that I am planning to subject the bunny too...if I am not satisfied then I will try to get some action taken..I will not use the RSPCA as they have a very poor reputation in this area (I will be dealing with inspectors & they are horrible) If they go in then its odss on that the bunns will be killed,they dont even bother to try to re-home them (as said this is how they operate in this area they may be different in others)I am also worried about the ducklings & chicks so will go have a snoop & see what happens.

On my way to work i see a sign everyday at a big house/farm place. It is a square white sign stuck on a post near the gate with red writing painted as if a child has painted it.. really untidy. Says 'Young Rabbits for sale' Its been there for the whole 4months ive been here :(

I know several farming families and this is often how their pets are acquired. If someone wants a kitten, they ask around and someone's cat will have had kittens, same with the rabbits I'm afraid. Also, if someone has a dog that lots of people like - they will breed from it and supply friends with the puppies - neutering and spaying appears to be very rare in the world of farming - I suppose they class their pets as 'livestock'.

Back