• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

diet for a young bun?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
i was just wondering what sort of diet a young(approx 9 weeks old) bun should be on? for example should he have different staple food to say, an adult bun? i was told allen and page(?) is one of the best, but the only way of me getting that is online(i found it on bunnymail-anyone know of any other sites that sell it?)
i know he will need fresh hay every day, and ive been told that he shouldnt be given veggies until he is 3 months old? is there anything else i should know diet wise? he does seem underweight to me and i think the little chap is going to need fattening up :? is there anything i could do/feed him to help him gain a little weight?
is readigrass ok to give him at this age?

Thanks in advance!

hi

Main thing with baby buns is to be aware that leaving mum and going to 2 or 3 new places (shop etc) means they are under a lot of stress, which kills rabbits as it upsets their digestion - Therefore it's best not to add to that stress by changing diet - so feed a baby bun whatever it's used to, even if it's not the best food on the market - after a couple of months of settling the bunny in, you can start to make small changes like a teaspoon a day of the new food, or a tiny square of veg etc - It's a case of 'more haste less speed' so take your time...As for Readigrass I guess it's similar to hay but not as coarse fibre - might be higher in calories too? If he's underweight but in good health otherwise then he'll put on weight slowly once he settles in I would guess - trying to fatten him up quickly will probably cause more problems with his digestion and do more harm than good.

thanks for the advice. i would have definately started off by feeding him what he is already on, poor little fella must be so stressed out, definately dont want to add to that for him!

Edited to say, i meant to ask from what age will he be allowed veggies?

Hiya!

When Sophie was a baby I fed her on unlimited pellets, unlimited hay but because I was so paranoid about veggies and some that can cause upset tums, I didn't introduce veg until Soph was about 5-6 months! I found it really hard finding info about what to feed babies! (Sof was 8 weeks by the way when i had her!) :D So, I just read up and found as much info as I could! Wish I had found this site then :roll: :wink:

Back