• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Problem ... What would you do ? Any Ideas?

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi Guys,

Squeak has had molar problems for about 3 years now but with diet etc I have managed it quite well 34 weeks was my best before he had to go and have them done.

Now he has problems with his incissors, he is having to have them clipped every 3 weeks and the vet knocks him out which costs 60.00 pounds a time. I have discussed having them removed but the vet said this is not possible if he has molar problems as they will not be able to prop his mouth open with the clamp to do them if he has no front teeth.
Is this right? I don't think they will be able to do them with out knocking him out as he is a very timid bunny and it will freak him out.

Has anyone had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm prepared to keep paying but I have read that all this anaesthesia may damage his kidneys anyway. The cost would be about 1,000 a year at this rate.

I have read about the teeth doctor David Crossley, does anyone know how to contact him? I have a feeling that I read somewhere that he designs his own equipment to use on rabbits. I was wondering if he has anything I could buy to over come this problem so the incissors can be removed and the molars filed if necessary, It would be worth it buying the equipment for my vet!!!!!!!!

Squeak is 6 now and has the eye problems to go with it of course but he is otherwise in very good health and full of life. But at this rate him mum will be skint!

Thanks for listening any help would be appreciated.

Maureen

If he is being anaesthetised anyway when having his molars done then they should be able to keep his mouth open. I would go for a second opinion if I were you.

David Crossleys web site

http://www.dacross.net/

His email address

referrals@dacross.net .

John Robinson is also very good, I have been to a number of his talks, he also has special equipment made for rabbits. He is probably alot closer to you to. These are his contact numbers and address'.

John G A Robinson BDS (Lond)
Bishops Veterinary Surgery, Hatfield, Herts Tel: 01707 272772
Village Animal Hospital, Caterham, Surrey Tel: 01883 348483
Otherwise Tel: 020 7274 4441

Yep, I'd second/third that. Definately get a second opinion. If his back teeth problems have such long gaps between needing doing you might find that taking out the front teeth solves the problem even. Front teeth growing out of line can change the wear on the backteeth and vis-versa.

Tam

cheeky has his back teeth done usually once/twice a year but his front teeth need done every 3 to 4 weeks . My vet does it when he is awake , he just burrs them down and cheeky is none the worse for it !! I,d go elsewhere if I were you .

Thanks for your replies,

I feel a trip to Hatfield coming on.

Squeak says do they do false teeth for bunnies? If not why not it not fare!!

Maureen

Ps He knows they can grow again but, he's just being prepared :lol: :lol:

oooohhhhhhh!! , cheeky would love new teeth . all his upper right molars have fallen out and he had to get two on his left side removed . he still has his front tooth pegs tho . :D

Squeak says do they do false teeth for bunnies? If not why not it not fare!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OUr Squidgy's got no front teeth, but he looks better without them than when he arrived with me first of all with hugely overgrown ones!
He just gets spoilt now, with chopped up veggies and even chopped hay

Back