• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic hutches.

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi

Wondered if anyone had an experience of having a plastic hutch for outside.
My bunny is indoor at the moment but is chewing everything other than what he is meant to.He has chew toys and boxes to dig in but prefers the leather sofa,ps2 and my cable for tv!
Have seen a two story hutch in plastic for him as i am sure he would eat his way out a wooden one.
www.doncasterplastics.com/pethomes.html

Is this too small?
He has a wooden run also but i am reluctant to put him in it when im not supervising him as i worry he may eat his way out.Is it possible he could? It is a square one from p@h.
My garden is going to be made bunny safe so when completed he will be in that when im home (im a sahm).

Thanks in return for any repiles!

Leesa.

That wouldn't be too small at all and it is very unlikley that he could eat his way out of the run in one day.

What size is your bun? Is he fully grown?

I have no experience of using outdoor plastic hutches, the one thing I do know is that the resin ones get very hot in the summer, more so than the wooden ones(and need to be placed in the shade). Plastic ones have the disadvantage that they are more difficult to add bolts to them to stop Mr Fox opening the hutch.

The hutch is only 3.5 feet wide by 15.75 inches by 33.5 inches tall (that includes the height for the feet) which means a normal size bun cannot stand up and stretch fully.

As Phil says your rabbit won't be able to chew out of his hutch in a day! You can help protect your run by adding wire mesh to the places where he chews or by screwing addditional pieces of wood to these parts. When they start wearing down you simply replace them and your run should remain in good condition.

You may find your bun will be less destructive if he has a partner to spend his /her spare time on. Have they got lots of toys to keep them occupied?

Janice

George has loads of toys and is out most days but he never wants to play with any of the toys....we have digging boxes,bunny toys, toilet roll tubes filled with hay, wood chews,a big cardboard tube which he has never so much as licked never mind chew!
The kids try to play with him but unless he is destroying the sofa or cables he is usually lying down under the table and has been seen to rolling on the laminate floor....it quite funny :lol:

When kids are asleep i sit with him and try to play but hes not really interested. Im baffled....not sure what im doing wrong.
I already have 2 cats and bunny and a hamster....oh and 2 kids...4yrs and 2yrs. So hubby not keen on another bunny at all!!!
I just want to make sure he is a happy bun.

leesa.

It says they can make to spec so it would be worth adding a few extra inches.

Would they get hot? I guess you'd need to be careful it wasn't getting direct sunlight.

Tam

Back